The Cape

Started by Geekyfanboy, May 18, 2010, 08:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Yeah I suppose.  I won't be much for disappointment if it leaves I'll admit.  Its no Eureka or SGU or...well you know.  *shrugs*.  I'm watching enough as it is.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

QuadShot

I think it's ok. I'm giving it a shot for now. Hey, at least it's not The Event!!!

Rico

Quote from: QuadShot on January 25, 2011, 07:35:59 PM
I think it's ok. I'm giving it a shot for now. Hey, at least it's not The Event!!!

Agreed!  And being a big comic book fan I'm liking the show quite a bit.  And remember, "if it's warm out it must be Summer."  ;)

ElfManDan

After watching a few episodes of this show I'd say it's a good show, but the characters are lacking. They don't feel real to me. Not enough emotion from them, but it's a show I'll keep watching

sheldor

Quote from: Rico on January 25, 2011, 08:44:46 PM
Quote from: QuadShot on January 25, 2011, 07:35:59 PM

Agreed!  And being a big comic book fan I'm liking the show quite a bit.  And remember, "if it's warm out it must be Summer."  ;)

Oh my...stealing lines from Wolowitz??!!   

Rico

I'm still enjoying the show.  Last night's episode with the Dice girl was pretty cool.  I like the idea of someone who could "see the future" based on math and probabilities.  Sad watching the mom have to read "The Cape" to her son at the end without Vince around.  What I'd like to see is for them to just have this arc of clearing his name last maybe just this one season and he gets back to his family.  But decides to still fight crime as The Cape too.

QuadShot

Rico, agreed. I truly hope they don't drag out a theme and try to milk it. But I'm still enjoying the show. I like how [spoiler]Flemming is feeling the pull to be Chess once more. I think the story line that Chess is like an alter ego instead of Flemming just being evil is cool[/spoiler]

Rico

Agreed.  Especially if the series only gets a season.  I'm not really sure how the ratings are so far.  I do know there is a new Chicago based cop show starting next week to compete with it in the same time slot.

Geekyfanboy

This is not good news...

NBC Cuts Back Order For 'The Cape'
By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Tuesday February 1, 2011 @ 5:54pm PST

EXCLUSIVE: Things are not looking good for midseason drama The Cape. NBC just cut the order to the comic book-inspired series from 13 to 10. That means stop of production for the show, which is now wrapping Episode 10. After an OK start on Sunday earlier this month, The Cape has been sliding in its regular Monday 9 PM slot. Last night, the show drew a 1.5/4, down 6% for a series low.

X

This show is losing me. I think it's because the concept is sort of weak in the long run. They are building up a battle between Cape and Chess. You also have the whole thing about him living with criminals and letting them be criminals, it tarnishes the Cape. As each episode goes on, I think that it's kind of silly to hide who you are from your son and continue to visit him. It just doesn't hold up well to close observation and I really can't see this as a story that goes on for years.

My suspension of disbelief is a bungie cord ready to snap back to reality with the complete weight of the fall that it took to get here.

ElfManDan

Quote from: X on February 01, 2011, 06:26:00 PM
This show is losing me. I think it's because the concept is sort of weak in the long run. They are building up a battle between Cape and Chess. You also have the whole thing about him living with criminals and letting them be criminals, it tarnishes the Cape. As each episode goes on, I think that it's kind of silly to hide who you are from your son and continue to visit him. It just doesn't hold up well to close observation and I really can't see this as a story that goes on for years.

My suspension of disbelief is a bungie cord ready to snap back to reality with the complete weight of the fall that it took to get here.

I agree with a lot that you're saying there X. It seems like a mostly lighthearted show to me. It's fun, but I want it to be more serious and the characters be more real. It's also been bugging me too how the Cape keep visiting his son. I know I'd pick out my own Dad's voice instantly at that age. I'm sure even a kid that age could figure it out.

KingIsaacLinksr

:(  Oh well, I'll accept NBCs decision on this, its not getting a lot of love and I'll admit its weak.  I was even wondering how they'll even manage to get it out another season with the story they had, it just wasn't a lot to begin with.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Feathers

I guess that means we'll probably never get it over here (or it will appear on a channel no-one watches because it's cheap).

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

I don't agree that the show is weak.  It's classic, comic book superhero stuff.  A wrongly accused guy putting on a mask to hide his identity to clear his name - classic motif.  Again, a show not given time to fully develop and reach it's potential.  I always like to remind folks of TNG season 1 say vs. season 3-4 and on.  I understand the whole ratings game, even if I don't agree with it.  I suppose people must rather want to see another cop drama or some show about people trying to find Mr. or Mrs. Right.  I fear we are getting in danger of nothing new or different being tried on TV.  And that saddens me.

Jobydrone

I'm not sure TNG is an apt comparison because of the sheer weight of the history and the fan love surrounding the franchise that went back twenty years.  The Cape has none of that going for it.  If TNG was an unknown quantity when it premiered I doubt it would have been given two seasons to find its rhythm given the costs and expenses involved even back in the 80s.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx