The Cape

Started by Geekyfanboy, May 18, 2010, 08:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on February 02, 2011, 07:51:43 AM
I'm not sure TNG is an apt comparison because of the sheer weight of the history and the fan love surrounding the franchise that went back twenty years.  The Cape has none of that going for it.  If TNG was an unknown quantity when it premiered I doubt it would have been given two seasons to find its rhythm given the costs and expenses involved even back in the 80s.

I have to disagree with that statement...  TV series were given chances back then, they weren't pulled after 3 episodes if the ratings were low. also TNG was in syndication which is totally different then network. Syndication is more forgiving when it comes to ratings, especially back then.

QuadShot

Quote from: X on February 01, 2011, 06:26:00 PM
This show is losing me. I think it's because the concept is sort of weak in the long run. They are building up a battle between Cape and Chess. You also have the whole thing about him living with criminals and letting them be criminals, it tarnishes the Cape. As each episode goes on, I think that it's kind of silly to hide who you are from your son and continue to visit him. It just doesn't hold up well to close observation and I really can't see this as a story that goes on for years.

My suspension of disbelief is a bungie cord ready to snap back to reality with the complete weight of the fall that it took to get here.

Yet...BATMAN holds up???

QuadShot

I agree with Rico and Kenny...nothing is really given time to get it's groove anymore. I think the Cape is a good show. No...its NOT full of serious drama, but if that's what you're looking for you need to start watching cop shows, which by the way there are WAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Too many of. I think shows that are just fun are never given a chance any more. People watch and if they don't like it right off, Boom, it's gone. Look at Firefly for example. It was an excellent show that wasn't given a chance. Oh well, looks like the pinheads shall prevail on this. :)

Jobydrone

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on February 02, 2011, 07:55:51 AM
I'm not sure TNG is an apt comparison because of the sheer weight of the history and the fan love surrounding the franchise that went back twenty years.  The Cape has none of that going for it.  If TNG was an unknown quantity when it premiered I doubt it would have been given two seasons to find its rhythm given the costs and expenses involved even back in the 80s.

I have to disagree with that statement...  TV series were given chances back then, they weren't pulled after 3 episodes if the ratings were low. also TNG was in syndication which is totally different then network. Syndication is more forgiving when it comes to ratings, especially back then.

Well I'll agree that things are definitely different now, no argument there.  It's a shame that so many interesting, quality programs aren't given the opportunity to thrive or pick up buzz due to the astronomical production costs and risks involved.  (Not saying the Cape falls into this category, haven't seen it)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Like Kenny said, it isn't the same TV world out there these days.  There were shows in the past that got dropped, but typically not so quickly.  Most would at least be given a season to try and catch on.  And I think the TNG comparison is very valid.  I wasn't claiming the "Trek" name didn't have an impact in keeping it on the air, my point was the quality of the show greatly improved after the first couple of seasons.  It takes time develop the right stories, characters, and so forth on a TV series.  Time that isn't always allowed these days.  In any case, I plan on watching the rest of "The Cape."  And who knows, it hasn't been canceled yet so anything is still possible.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on February 02, 2011, 07:55:51 AM

So I have to wonder what caused the change...

In either case, I agree with Rico's point of view, but I still say that overall its a weak series as it stands.  That however doesn't mean it has no potential, I mean SGU started out weak and has become really strong in Season 2, so it is quite likely The Cape could begin hitting that this season or next season.  I like the show and would like to see it continue, but with my queue of shows right now, it is the one I could afford to lose if I had to lose any that I watch atm.  I wish it could stay, I miss my superhero intake that I once had on TV.  And its the only new series I've taken a liking to this year.  Which is kinda sad.  Oh well, fingers crossed :).

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

Quote from: QuadShot on February 02, 2011, 08:00:34 AM
Quote from: X on February 01, 2011, 06:26:00 PM
This show is losing me. I think it's because the concept is sort of weak in the long run. They are building up a battle between Cape and Chess. You also have the whole thing about him living with criminals and letting them be criminals, it tarnishes the Cape. As each episode goes on, I think that it's kind of silly to hide who you are from your son and continue to visit him. It just doesn't hold up well to close observation and I really can't see this as a story that goes on for years.

My suspension of disbelief is a bungie cord ready to snap back to reality with the complete weight of the fall that it took to get here.

Yet...BATMAN holds up???
Never said that. I don't like the Batman TV show. It's too campy for me.

QuadShot

X, I wasn't referring to the TV show, just Batman in general...

X

Quote from: Rico on February 02, 2011, 08:41:16 AM
Like Kenny said, it isn't the same TV world out there these days.  There were shows in the past that got dropped, but typically not so quickly.  Most would at least be given a season to try and catch on.  And I think the TNG comparison is very valid.  I wasn't claiming the "Trek" name didn't have an impact in keeping it on the air, my point was the quality of the show greatly improved after the first couple of seasons.  It takes time develop the right stories, characters, and so forth on a TV series.  Time that isn't always allowed these days.  In any case, I plan on watching the rest of "The Cape."  And who knows, it hasn't been canceled yet so anything is still possible.
Actually the Trek name didn't help keep it on the air. Hell, it didn't even help get TNG on the air. The only thing that allowed TNG to be run was the fact that they gave the show away to the stations. Instead of charging money for broadcasting rights, they were paid in advertising time. I don't remember the exact number of season they used to work that deal, but broadcasters got a free first run show for nothing.

The show knew that it would find it's wings and put their money where their mouth was.

As for the Cape, how many episodes do we need to give a show before we decide it's not worth seeing? Let me ask you something else. How many new shows have you watched that haven't hooked you from the first episode?

I think even the network knew that something was missing and aired the Pilot with the second episode just to try to hook the viewers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the show. I'm not crying for it to be pulled off the air. I've given it how many episodes now and it just isn't something that I'm rushing to see. I don't wish the show ill, but it's not my kind of show. Having been watching Misfits, I think that it's the best Hero show out. The Cape just isn't living up to the competition.

Rico

Chris, your comments with regards to TNG's syndication deal are not exactly accurate.  They were several key factors that were included in that deal - not the least of which was Paramount only allowed stations that were airing TOS reruns (and paying a lot for them) to air the new TNG series.  Also, the stations split the ad time between the stations and Paramount.  So it is incorrect to say the stations got the show for free.  There are other details, but those were a few more of the main points to it.

BUT - that wasn't my point.  My point in bringing up TNG and for that matter, many TV series, is that shows generally improve and season over time.  "The Cape" has aired a grand total of five episodes so far.  I'm enjoying it so far and see even more potential.  I don't need to be blown away in the first episode to stick with a series.  There are many shows that slowly grew on me more and more over time.  The shame of things on network TV these days that just isn't much of an option.

ori-STUDFARM

I still stand by original statement that The Cape is very corny and cliched....but at the same time, they are bringing story arcs into it that run deeper than a wronged cop clearing his name.

[spoiler] There is more to the Carnival Criminals than meets the eye. It looks as though Max malini didn't just randomly give the cloak to the first convenient person...it looks like he was following a plan or prophecy.

And I love that The Cape has to keep rescuing his arch enemy to keep the hope of clearing his own name alive. It sure beats a week in, week out chase where Chess always manage to escape by the skin of his teeth[/spoiler]

Like I say, cliched and corny....but not in a bad way. It is deliberately done so and all the more interesting because of it. It's working for me. It deserves it's full season to be aired before making that final decision....unfortunately, TV doesn't work like that anymore :(

Also, I love that we now have at least one person with a genuine super power.....who else is out there!!

Jobydrone

Part of the problem for me is that this show suffers from the unfortunate issue when the market is saturated with shows that are just too similar to each other.  Even if it's only peripherally, if movies or shows are too derivative of each other I tend to avoid them both/all unless something really stands out.  Armageddon & Deep Impact, Volcano & Dante's Peak are examples of movies that come out close to one another and seem so similar to be very suspicious.  The Cape & No Ordinary Family give me that same feeling.  Hollywood's a pretty small town, the left hand should know what the right hand is doing.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Well, there's actually a pretty big difference between "The Cape" and "No Ordinary Family."  For one, The Cape has no super powers.  He also is mainly doing what he is doing to clear his name.  The "Family" show is a lot about the family and they just happen to have gotten these powers and are dealing with them.  Only the dad is kind of actively fighting crime.  Anyway, I get what you are saying but compared to say cop or medical shows I think a couple "comic book type" shows isn't really that big a thing.  It's just frustrating to me how quickly these decisions are being made.

One side issue I was thinking of that in these days of Netflix, DVD's, Hulu and so on, I think many people don't feel as compelled to sit down and watch a new series when it first shows up.  I think this is a very BIG factor in why newer shows have a much harder time catching on these days. 

KingIsaacLinksr

Watched Episode 5 last night, was a lot of fun and seeing him take on someone with actual powers was nice.  Gah, wish this show could stick around longer :(  I enjoy it a lot more than I ever did with No Ordinary Family.

@Joby, considering how many cop shows are currently airing on TV or law-and-order type shows, I think two hero stories can manage :)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jobydrone

@Tim & Rico:  I am sure you're right.  Like I said I haven't seen the Cape or No Ordinary Family for that matter either.  For me it's just about perception, as uninformed as it may be and surely is.

As to the comment about downloadable and streaming services, this is absolutely an issue that is clearly shaking things up at many levels.  I've been reading that ISPs in Canada are limiting their services from a 250 GB cap to a 25gb cap with no price drop or anything.  It's probably coming soon to an ISP near you. This could really hurt services like Netflix and Hulu that depend on large file transfers especially for HD content.