AHHHGH! Stop the madness!

Started by QuadShot, July 07, 2010, 10:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadShot

Atlantis, I do understand the need for her to stay connected.  But I just don't like it, I mean, I understand the need to pay taxes, but I don't like that either.  Just because we can understand something doesn't necessarily mean liking it goes hand in hand with it.
And Rico, you are right, we've kind of drifted off the main point here, which is natural and fine really, but bottom line is, there will always be two sides to this coin: Those who see nothing wrong with texting 24/7 no matter whose company you're in, and those of us who are right :) JK. It's an age old story.  Rico, I guess you and I are approximately the same age (or close to), and we think a lot a like.  I LOVE tech, but feel WE need to control IT, instead of us allowing it to rule our lives.  I mean, have we learned NOTHING from John Connor? :) Al

billybob476

Basically I think it comes down to a question of manners and what people deem as acceptable behaviour. My (simple) take on it is this:

If you are stopping mid-sentence to tweet or text or whatever in conversation with someone in front of you, that is not really acceptable. Proximity = priority. While texts and emails do arrive instantly, there is no inherent need to answer right away. If I answer your text right now or in 5-10 minutes, it won't really affect the sender one way or another. Face to face communication is real-time, socially we are conditioned to react to what is in front of us before anything else. If you ask me something and I only look at you 10 minutes later, that doesn't make much contextual sense.

If there is a break in conversation or the 'electronic communication' has relevance to the current face to face interaction, then feel free.

There is no single set of rules that govern social interactions, what I think is good manners does not necessarily match up with anyone else's. Socially there are regional norms but it really depends on how you personally interpret specific actions and behaviours.

QuadShot

moyer777

sorry I haven't replied to this thread, I've been texting. ;)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

QuadShot

Quote from: moyer777 on July 08, 2010, 09:27:28 AM
sorry I haven't replied to this thread, I've been texting. ;)

HA! Rick, you crack me up buddy! :P

Meds

What a cool thread lol. OK so here is my two pence worth ( or cents if you are that way enclined ) I do not take my mobile phone on vacation with me. I leave it here. I do not want to be contacted when i am away. I don't need to read emails, text and if i need to phone i will use a pay phone. I do text, in fact I'm not a fan of phone conversations mainly because i am a bloke and my general chat is "Pub, yeah 8pm cheers". As for text speak, yes i too find it annoying but, and i hate to say this its a sign of evolution of language. I no longer say thy hath no time sire, buy i have no time sir. Same sentence just a different way.

I will say this i detest the following. talking loudly whilst on public transport into your phone, texting with sound and playing music via phone on public transport. I do think its rude when you are with other people and feel the need to have your head buried in the screen, and i hate to say it I have done that but i have apologised to the person first before i reply and i will reply if its important.

KingIsaacLinksr

I for one agree on many different levels due to my age.  However, since I have not had a smartphone yet, I do not have the joy of doing Twitter, Facebook, Email and etc all on the road.  My iPod touch ironically limits and unlimited me.  Since I am restricted to a decent Wi-Fi signal, I have to wait till I'm in a good area for it.  IE: When cell-phone reception really sucked.  In fact, whenever I have a kid (in the long distant future), he'll probably get an iPod touch.  Or similar.  Simply because it puts a limit on what he can do and I don't get exasperated over it. 

The texting thing is this, if it interferes with normal conversation and puts you in your own world when out and about with friends, it is indeed quite rude.  I've only found it aggravating at theaters, dinner tables, restaurants and quiet events.  The rest of the time I couldn't really care.  It just happens and I've gotten way used to it.  If I were in the same position as Quadshot, I probably wouldn't mind at all as long as said daughter did pay attention to what I said.  *GAH, I SOUND OLD*.  :P  The rest of the time is up to her.  I really don't like it when ppl put a stigma on doing things like this.  But there is a point where too much, is too much.  She may have crossed that line.  It's hard to say. 

I myself might be getting rid of texting here soon.  Why?  Because Twitter/Facebook/Email is available on my iPod touch (and maybe iPhone soon??) for FREE.  This is still a debate I'm having with myself, but I rarely find myself texting a lot. 

King

A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

billybob476

I find it a bit funny that I have free unlimited texts on my phone plan yet I rarely ever send one.

QuadShot

Hey billybob, you can always send me texts! :) I have unlimited too but am the same.  I typically only text my wife.

billybob476

I usually text my friends in Montreal. I WOULD text my wife if her phone wasn't always dead at the bottom of her purse. Grrrr! :)

moyer777

I want in on this texting action.  My number is 360-581-3060.  Please text me!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

AtlantisAngel

I'm a serial texter it's bad but I don't text whilst eating, or in conversation with people that I'm with, usually. Thankfully, I have unlimited texts, though I got a letter from a research group asking me to take a survey on texting. Apparently O2 (network provider) put my name forward. I don't know whether to be flattered or not  :confused
Captain Kathryn Janeway: [entering the mess hall] Coffee, black.
Neelix: Uh, sorry, Captain. We lost two more replicators this morning...
Captain Kathryn Janeway: Listen to me very carefully, because I'm only going to say this once: Coffee. Black.
Neelix: Yes, ma'am.

QuadShot

Hmm, a survey on texting.  Me thinks perhaps thoust doth text too oft? :)

AtlantisAngel

It depends. I generally can go about three days without texting or receiving texts. There are the days when everyone wants to talk to you, today being one of them! In comparison to my sister, I think I'm okay-ish...
Captain Kathryn Janeway: [entering the mess hall] Coffee, black.
Neelix: Uh, sorry, Captain. We lost two more replicators this morning...
Captain Kathryn Janeway: Listen to me very carefully, because I'm only going to say this once: Coffee. Black.
Neelix: Yes, ma'am.

QuadShot

Ah, but we're always the last to recognize our sickness!  :blink