Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Even if it was early days of command, it wouldn't make sense for Chekov to be there. He'd likely still be in the academy!

Rico

Yep - there is roughly a ten year age difference between Kirk and Chekov.  I mean I'm sure they could come up with some crazy way to bring them all together but I'm wondering why they seem to of decided to go that route.

billybob476

Or they'll just pull a Worf and have people randomly show up and pan the camera away from them when they begin to explain why they're there.

jedijeff

I agree, she is very attractive.  I agree with Rico, if this is set in the early Days of Kirks command of the Enterprise, then all this casting will make the most sense. Regardless, I am getting more and more excited for the movie

Locutus

mild plot SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER warning

TRACKING TREK RUMORS
By Jeremy Smith
Contributing sources: Ain't it Cool News

{snippet}

"Picture an incident that throws a group of Romulans back in time. Picture that group of Romulans figuring out where they are in the timeline, then deciding to take advantage of the accident to kill someone’s father, to erase them from the timeline before they exist, thereby changing all of the Trek universe as a result. Who would you erase? Whose erasure would leave the biggest hole in the Trek universe is the question you should be asking.

Who else, of course, but James T. Kirk?

If Spock were in a position to change that incident back, and then in a position to guard that timeline and make sure things happen the way they’re supposed to, it creates...

... well, what does it create? Because evidently the plan is to use this second timeline as a way of rebooting without erasing or ignoring canon. These new voyages of the Enterprise, they’re taking place in whatever timeline starts with this story. Maybe this timeline features dramatic differences. Like... say... if Vulcan were to be blown up. If the Vulcans in the series were suddenly the last of their kind, alone in the universe, it would change who they are and maybe even redefine their strict rejection of emotion in favor of logic."

{/snippet}

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=11635 for the full story
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Jen

:dstar   
If Vulcans were suddenly the last of their kind...
...then they'd be El-Arian. I hope they don't do that.  :-\
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

I don't know what to think about this. I kinda like it and I think it's a good idea to do something fresh with the franchise, but I don't know what this is ... yet.

Rico

Jobydrone

Sounds like a bad dream, or a bad Brannon Braga script.  Keep an open mind...keep an open mind...Spock is cool, keep an open mind...
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Locutus

Change "Romulans" into "Borg", and "Kirk" into "Cochran", and you have most of First Contact.

I guess we'll have to see what happens. But I don't think a majority of fans are gonna be happy about this (obviously) right from the outset.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

X

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt only because with each new generation of Star Trek, things were lost. No mention of Archer or his Enterprise until the series. Voyager goes to earth in the 2000's and there is not a single sign of the Eugenics War. Kirk goes in the 80's and the technology isn't even in place even though the Augments should have been at the very least young adults.

Maybe something does need to be done to fix all of the issues that were created with each successive generation of shows. Maybe this is a good time for them to write out some of those Epps from the shows that many agreed didn't work well. (Threshold or Spock's Brain anyone?).

For me, the setting has carried just as much weight as the characters and in some cases more. This might be a chance to build something better, something that takes those Wagon Train in Space roots and mixes it with the things that have come to be great scifi in recent years.

I enjoyed Enterprise because they tried to go beyond convention. They tried to explore not just the technology and relationships, but the birth of what was to come. Sure they stumbled, but they tried. I loved DS9 because they turned trek from a collection of episoded into an actual living breathing episode with things evolving from one day to the next. People grew up and changed. For me that was always a problem with the other shows until Enterprise. The epps were good, but unless it was a two parter, little was talked about regarding past epps.

If this is what it takes to build a growing and expanding universe, then count me in. I want to feel wonder again.

Jen

All good arguments X, and I think most of us agree...I too loved Enterprise. The technology in that show didn't bother me and it felt like Star Trek to me. Sometimes fans get possesive...cue Star Wars geeks.

My major concern is the rumor that they may "rewrite history" by removing major characters (if I read the rumor correctly, posted by Locutus). I just hope they leave Roddenberry's original crew alone. It's his brain child... Addtions are fine but no subtractions!
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Locutus

Yeah, I'm with you guys. I like that they will be going a different direction, but I don't like that they will be going a different direction, if you catch my drift.

I loved DS9, it was my favorite series (except the very awful ending) and Enterprise picked up right when they canceled it, so that was disappointing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's not like JJ Abrams hasn't lied about or obfuscated his projects (see: 1-18-08), so this may just be a ruse.

spidey27

It's Confirmed: New Uhura Cast For Star Trek

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Sep-17-2007

Just a few weeks ago, rumors started to circulate just a few weeks ago that Zoë Saldana had been offered the role of Lt. Uhura in "Star Trek XI." And it appears those rumors were right.
Saldana, who is one of the stars of James Cameron's "Avatar," has been confirmed to be in final negotiations to join the growing cast of J.J. Abrams' movie set on the USS Enterprise. The Hollywood Reporter confirmed the story for its Tuesday publication which would have Saldana join Leonard Nimoy, Zachary Quinto and Anton Yelchin as other actors already a part of the project.

Saldana will play Uhura, the role originated in 1966 by Nichelle Nichols, who carried the character through more than two decades in films. Uhura was last seen in "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered County" in 1991.

Saldana got her big break in 2002's "Drumline," but she also played Anamaria in the 2003 film "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl."

Yelchin is already on board as Pavel Chekov, while Quinto and Nimoy will both play Spock -- the role that Nimoy originated in 1966 as well.

There is still no word on who will play Kirk in the film, but it seems almost certain that William Shatner -- who has lobbied for some type of cameo, if not a role like his friend Nimoy -- will not be a part of the project.

Nichols is still staying active. She is set to join former castmate George Takei as a recurring actor in the second season of NBC's hit series "Heroes."

"Star Trek XI" is aiming for a Christmas 2008 release
:spidey

Rico

Canon is slowing slipping out the window on this movie.  These characters age differences are not being taken into account.