Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Please to god let there be not time travel or alternate timelines and please don't make the universe explode but at the end of the movie have someone do something so everything resets.

iceman

Not having Shatner in this movie will be a big mistake, I dont like where this is going.

Geekyfanboy

Shatner Still Wanted For Trek Movie

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/10/09/shatner-still-wanted-for-trek-movie/

Written by: Samuel K. Sloan (FarPoint Media Executive News Director)

240×3201.jpgScreenwirter Roberto Orci says that he, Alex Kurtzman and JJ Abrams are still wanting to get William Shatner to join his friend and former castmate Leonard Nimoy for the new Star Trek movie.

"What J.J. said at Comic-Con is still true," stated Orci in an interview with TrekMovie. "We are actively perusing, looking for a way to make a part that is worthy of him and that is not pandering to either his role in Star Trek or to the fans."

Bill has also stated on more than one occasion that although he would love to be in the film, the role would have to be more than just a bit part, but one that allowed the older Spock and Kirk to go out with dignity.

Other confirmation came from the interview. We already know that the younger versions of Spock, Uhura and Chekov have been cast, but now we can say that Sulu, Bones and Scotty will definitely be a part of this project.

"I don't know how you can have Uhura without Bones. So yes it is the original crew, commented Orci.

Also, some other familiar characters from the original series may be seen as well. Secondary characters such as Rand, Kyle and Nurse Chapel will be there however Orci was quick to say, "I can't say which. We are aware of all of them, but we are mindful that you can't just try and stuff everything into a first movie just to stuff it in. Our hope is that this is 'movie one' of several and so anyone who gets omitted is immediately on the list for 'movie two'. It is a factor of what can one movie tolerate and how well can a character be serviced and if they can't be serviced correctly we would rather do it well later than do it poorly now."

Negotiations continue with Shatner and his people, but it is this writer's opinion that it is very likely that we will again see the great William Shatner don the Starfleet captain's uniform one last time before bidding his beloved character a final adieu.

KingIsaacLinksr

Boy....I'm not sure this movie is going to go over well...

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

jedijeff

Seems like they have a lot to still hammer out, hopefully they have enough time to film and finish the movie for the Christmas 2008 release. I do like that they are considering Characters carefully, and not including characters for the sake of including them.

Geekyfanboy

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/10/24/slice-of-scifi-news-briefs-21/

Leonard Nimoy, who once proclaimed he was fully retired from acting so he could dedicate himself totally to his award-winning photography, has been lured back in front of a camera after a long absence to play his most known and beloved role of Mr. Spock for the new Star Trek movie. Recently he was asked why he would come out of retirement now, when in times past he refused to do so, even for another Trek project. His answer ought to give encouragement to fans who have been a bit leary about this next Star Trek film. Leonard said he could sum up his decision to come back to Trek in one word — "Abrams!"

The legendary 76-year old performer told The Jewish Chronicle that director J.J. Abrams and his writing team of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman have "come up with a strong idea," one that tweaked his interest enough to put away his golf shoes for a while. That is saying something as Nimoy has been adamant in the past about not returning to acting unless the project was enough to knock him off his feet. For him to return for this new Star Trek film says volumes about its script being one that just may be what the franchise and fans have been desiring for a long time now.

Jen

Has anyone heard, or has it already been posted, what the story is about? I heard on one of my podcasts (I can't remember which one but If I remember right they were pretty reputable) that the story involves Romulans who enter Earth's past and Spock goes after them. Its supposed to alter the time line as we know it and allow for cannon to be rewritten. I'll be so embarrassed if it was Rico's podcast I heard that on!  :D  Forgive me if it was...my mind is spinning with work and I have an awful memory to begin with.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Be careful what is posted here.  Rumor or not, if it ends up being true it could be a spoiler.  I will label the thread as such.

But officially no real story outline, era, or plot has been released.

Geekyfanboy

ACTION! Cameras Roll on "Star Trek" Movie Rebirth‏

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/11/07/action-cameras-roll-on-star-trek-movie-rebirth%e2%80%8f/

Written by: Tony Artym (SoSF Contributor)

Production officially starts today on the eleventh movie in the Star Trek franchise, but the first to be directed by J.J. Abrams and his Bad Robot production team. This is also the first movie to "re-imagine" a prior Star Trek, casting new people in roles defined by actors from the Original Series. In many ways, this Star Trek gives birth to a new era, one not defined completely by past production teams, sensibilities or casts (save Leonard Nimoy, of course!).

The film is in new hands, ones trusted by the studio and, judging by the buzz, the fans. So what do we know about the movie? Behind the scenes, we know that the budget is the biggest yet for a Star Trek film. That's partly due to the way movies are made these days, with special effects often pushing costs well above the $100 million range (Paramount has not officially published a movie budget). At least the special effects will be state-of-the-art, not last-minute add-ons.

We also know that the new cast members have been tasked with putting their own personal touches on iconic characters, which may or may not be a tricky transition for some fans. As for the business aspect, we should point out that the market is much different than it was 28 years ago when the first StarTrek movie was released, as witnessed by the emphasis for a movie's success placed squarely at the feet of its opening weekend box office.

A little over one year ago when the movie was first announced, there was no script, no cast and no real conception in the minds of the fans as to what would be forthcoming from J.J. and his team. Slowly the blanks are being filled in, as the cast is now almost complete, and other small details start to filter down. The movie has no official title yet, but we wouldn't be surprised if it remained as it first appeared on the original teaser art that debuted at Comic-Con 2006, and the follow-up poster that was unveiled at this year's event –simply, "Star Trek." The name alone speaks volumes. If you happen to be unaware of the terms "Star Trek," the "U.S.S. Enterprise,""phasers" or "Beam me up" by now, then you probably were born yesterday (and if you were, congratulations for learning to read so quickly!)

What we also know for certain is that Kirk, Spock (young and old), McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov will appear, along with the much-talked-about Christopher Pike character. Although the story is and will remain under wraps, the characters seem younger, presumably not long out of Starfleet Academy, and the story may be about one of their early missions. It all remains to be seen, literally.

Perhaps not by design, but by cosmic coincidence, the month of November also sees the first season of the Original Series released on HD DVD/DVD in its newly remastered form. This will be the first look for the mass market at how these uncut, remastered episodes look on our own TV screens, and in HD. If nothing else, these "new" old episodes will keep us going into the next year as we await the new movie.

One other item to tide us over and serve as a forerunner for the movie is the big-screen debut of the remastered episode "The Menagerie" in theatres around the globe. Such an event has never been attempted before on this scale, with showings in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Ireland, Germany, Austria, the Benelux countries, and Australia.

Any pre-production shoots aside — for trailers, test footage, etc. —we should also mention that the filming of the new Star Trek movie on Wednesday comes amidst a time of great strife in Hollywood as the Writers Guild of America (WGA) went on strike Monday morning when they could not come to an agreement with the studios on revenue sharing, particularly on DVDs and internet downloads. J.J. Abrams, what they call in the business a "multihyphenate" due to his producer-director-writer credits, is standing tall for his writers union; already, J.J. has been seen hoisting picket signs in solidarity with his union. He is reportedly set to go to work on Wednesday, in keeping with his contractual obligations as a director, but he will not be performing any writing duties. "If I didn't stand with my fellow writers, I'd feel it in my gut," said Abrams in the Tuesday Daily Variety. You can now add strike action to the list of potential movie and TV production inhibitors, along with fires, riots, earthquakes, floods,heat waves and mudslides. Los Angeles may be the home of entertainment, but it can also come at a price. Right now, the price is right to pay the writers what they deserve so we can keep enjoying the wide variety of entertainment produced here. And that includes Star Trek, of course.

Geekyfanboy

Here are the other pictures...

iceman

Jen

Wow. They got several of the actors down as far as resemblance goes. The new actress who is cast to play Uhura looks just like Nichelle. I wonder if they will opt to keep the uniforms and hair do's similar or if they will reinvent those aspects as well.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

wraith1701

Thanks for the heads-up, Kenny!  And the comparison pictures are pretty cool.  Call me crazy, but I'm slowly gaining confidence that this film will turn out to be pretty good! :)

Rico

Cool pictures Kenny.  I also am excited (of course) for the movie.  This just in.  It seems actor Bruce Greenwood has been cast in the role of Captain Pike.  I like this choice and have enjoyed Greenwood over the years.  He's a good choice and solid actor.

Ktrek

I'm not thrilled with the choice of Greenwood but I can't think of anyone else either so, I guess he'll just have to do.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine