Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

And a couple more...

Bryancd

Definately starting to look like they are taking the look from"Enterprise" and moving it forward technologicaly. Looks cool, not TOS cool, but cool nontheless.

wraith1701

Very nice!  I got a little chill looking at the picture of the shuttle console.  It looks "retro" yet practical.  And I appreciate the fact that it has actual moving parts instead of the touch-screen LCARS technology that we see in Next Gen.

By the way, I think Bryancd has hit on a good point--  I get the impression that Abrahms is going to use Enterprise as the 'jumping off' point for the new film, as well as any future Trek films.  If this is the case, it would be cool to see some nods made to Archer, the NX-01, and Cochrane.  Maybe a cameo or two, in the form of a flashback? 

billybob476

Very cool. I know this is technically a 'reboot' but if the kept a bit of the same look from Enterprise I'd like it. Enterprise had a very cool style.

Meds

wraith1701

Here are a couple of more pictures-

wraith1701

GEORGE TAKEI TO APPEAR IN STAR TREK XI !!!

From TrekWeb-

by Anthony Pasquale , Filed under: ST09 cast , 131 comments

George Takei, the actor who immortalized the character Hikaru Sulu from the Star Trek Franchise, has signed on for a cameo in J.J. Abrahms new Star Trek Film. Takei states that he is "...thrilled to be a part of this exciting relaunch of the Trek Franchise."

While Abrahm's production company Bad Robot is keeping hush-hush about the role Takai will play, Takei did admit that his character's last name will be Sulu, and that he will be playing the father of one of the new leading characters.

Ann Cullen from Sci Fi Pulse, who got a copy of the magazine, reports "It's TRUE. Takei is in the new movie and will also be in a brief Flash Foreword scene between him and Spock."

UPDATE 1 : Sci Fi Pulse posted the following excerpts of the Starburst Magazine article.

In a new and exclusive interview for Starburst Magazine which is out now in the UK. Actor George Takei revealed that he will be reprising his role of Sulu for a brief flash foreword scene in the new J.J. Abrams movie Star Trek.

The scene which little is known about at present involves a brief exchange between Leonard Nimoy as Spock and Takei as the more mature Captain Sulu.  Though the mature Captain Sulu is just an assumption on my part given that the article refers to the scene as a flash foreword scene.

Though Takei didn't talk about his role in the new movie, he more than happy to talk about the daunting challenge, which lays ahead for J.J. Abrams.

"He's got a daunting challenge, I think," reasons the voice of an old pro, "the technology we had back in the series back in the sixties was 'oh wow' mind boggling. We walked around the Starship with this compact device attached to our hip and wherever we were, whenever we wanted to we could tear it off and start talking, 'Oh wow isn't that great!' I mean, today it's a nuisance in our society, and so how do you capture that?"  In a recent interview, Takei was also quoted as saying "april fools."

iceman

Makes you wonder why they cant do the same thing for William Shatner, doesn't it

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: iceman on April 01, 2008, 08:52:40 AM
Makes you wonder why they cant do the same thing for William Shatner, doesn't it

Shatner has gone on record and said he didn't want a cameo appearance.. he wants a big part in the new film.. there is a difference in a cameo and a big part.

wraith1701

Quote from:  IcemanMakes you wonder why they cant do the same thing for William Shatner, doesn't it

Quote from:  KennyShatner has gone on record and said he didn't want a cameo appearance.. he wants a big part in the new film.. there is a difference in a cameo and a big part.

I guess no one read the last line of this post... ;)

Quote from: wraith1701 on April 01, 2008, 08:16:33 AM
GEORGE TAKEI TO APPEAR IN STAR TREK XI !!!

From TrekWeb-

by Anthony Pasquale , Filed under: ST09 cast , 131 comments

George Takei, the actor who immortalized the character Hikaru Sulu from the Star Trek Franchise, has signed on for a cameo in J.J. Abrahms new Star Trek Film. Takei states that he is "...thrilled to be a part of this exciting relaunch of the Trek Franchise."

While Abrahm's production company Bad Robot is keeping hush-hush about the role Takai will play, Takei did admit that his character's last name will be Sulu, and that he will be playing the father of one of the new leading characters.

Ann Cullen from Sci Fi Pulse, who got a copy of the magazine, reports "It's TRUE. Takei is in the new movie and will also be in a brief Flash Foreword scene between him and Spock."

UPDATE 1 : Sci Fi Pulse posted the following excerpts of the Starburst Magazine article.

In a new and exclusive interview for Starburst Magazine which is out now in the UK. Actor George Takei revealed that he will be reprising his role of Sulu for a brief flash foreword scene in the new J.J. Abrams movie Star Trek.

The scene which little is known about at present involves a brief exchange between Leonard Nimoy as Spock and Takei as the more mature Captain Sulu.  Though the mature Captain Sulu is just an assumption on my part given that the article refers to the scene as a flash foreword scene.

Though Takei didn't talk about his role in the new movie, he more than happy to talk about the daunting challenge, which lays ahead for J.J. Abrams.

"He's got a daunting challenge, I think," reasons the voice of an old pro, "the technology we had back in the series back in the sixties was 'oh wow' mind boggling. We walked around the Starship with this compact device attached to our hip and wherever we were, whenever we wanted to we could tear it off and start talking, 'Oh wow isn't that great!' I mean, today it's a nuisance in our society, and so how do you capture that?"  In a recent interview, Takei was also quoted as saying "april fools."
;)

Rico

Yes - be careful what you read today.  ;)

Meds

Yeah sneaky April fools jokes.

Rico

A few more tidbits from the Grand Slam Con this past weekend about the movie....

Star Trek XI was written with a specific actor in mind.

As reported by Screen Rant, the script for the new Star Trek movie was written with Leonard Nimoy in mind. It was fortunate that he liked the script, as he is said to be pivotal to the story and had he not liked it, there would have been a problem.

The same could not be said of William Shatner's absence. Nimoy, who was at Grand Slam XVI, said that it would have been damaging to the Star Trek XI story to have put Shatner in the movie.

Nimoy claimed that Star Trek XI is a gigantic movie, the largest on which he has ever worked. He also said that Paramount is losing money on it now but they feel that it will be a summer blockbuster. The budget on the film is said to be below two hundred million dollars.

Roberto Orci revealed that Steven Spielberg read the script and talked to J.J. Abrams about directing it. Abram's wife helped to talk Abrams into taking on Star Trek XI

To read more, head to the article located here:
http://screenrant.com/archives/hungry-for-more-star-trek-deta-1566.html

Rico

I talked about this on yesterday's podcast.  Here you can see a little footage of them filming out in Bakersfield (Kirk's Iowa farm).  Pretty spoiler free I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz8cH-f9NVg

Rico

A few more bits of interview chatter...

With the DVD release of Cloverfield, J.J. Abrams discussed the possibility of a sequel to the movie.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, a sequel is a possibility, but not set in stone. "There are a couple of ideas that Drew Goddard, the writer, and Matt Reaves [director] have that are pretty fantastic," explained Abrams. "So we are playing around with ideas. Obviously unless it is something that really excites us and inspires us we won't do it."

Abrams moved from discussion of Cloverfield to Star Trek XI, which is in the editing process. "Well we're cutting now, we're editing the film," he said. "And obviously it's Star Trek so there are a gazillion visual effects. We're very lucky to have ILM doing the visual effects, and they're spectacular. And I'm just starting to see some of them now and it is mind blowing."

Jennifer Morrison, who plays Winona Kirk, concurs with the superlatives when describing her time on Star Trek XI. "This has been an amazing experience," she said. "It is a huge set and I loved every minute of it. Everything was top secret, thus we ended up riding in cloaked vehicles and were dressed in black robes over our costumes so that no one can see our make-up or our costumes. Each morning I received the script with only my scenes of the day, so I have no idea what is the general plot of the movie. I couldn't believe I was a part of this production."

Rachel Nichols, who may be playing an Orion at Starfleet Academy, complimented the powers-that-be on the success of keeping details about Star Trek XI secret. "They've done a very good job in keeping the character I play under wraps," she said. Of her character, Nichols said, "All I can say is that it's a memorable role."

source:  http://www.trektoday.com/news/250408_03.shtml

Here are a couple pictures.  One is of Jennifer Morrison and the other is an artist's rendition of Nichols as an Orion.