Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Awesome!  Cool!  Let's line up now!!!   ;)

PepperDude

This is great.  I just knew they couldn't stop making Star Trek movies.

Jobydrone

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of seeing the story of Kirk & Spocks first meeting on screen.  I am getting excited now!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

RickPeete

I think it would be cool if we got to see Kirk's reprogramming of the Kobiashi Maru simulation in the movie and watch how 'his unique solution' played out....

Rico

Casting rumors flying now....
Matt Damon for Kirk
Adrian Brody for Spock
Gary Sinise for McCoy

All rumors, but interesting choices.  I find it interesting they seem to be looking hard at some pretty high profile actors for a Trek movie. 

moyer777

I'm sure they figure that if they get someone everyone knows, people will give it a shot.

Either way, yay!  There's gonna be another Trek movie!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :lol2

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bryancd

Although I have the same continuity and canon issue's others have expressed about a prequel to TOS, I have no problem with the rumored casting. I think Matt Damon would be an awesome young Kirk and could potentially carry the franchise forward with more feature films if it resonates well enough with fans both old and new. I wouldbe willing to watch a series of films which bring the Big 3 from the academy right up to the Enterprise. Yes, it would conflict with the fact that Spock served with Pike for years befor eKirk came aboard, so maybe they cheat a little and allow for Kirk, Spock, and McCoy to have a different back story. Honestly, the only audience that even know any of this us! No one esle will care, they will be more interested in seeing a good sci fi movie with good actors, good story, ect

Trekkygeek

Sinise for McCoy?? Like it. Still dubious about the whole prequel thing though
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

the_wasd_man

Rico

Yes - like I said --- it's really happening.

Kirk-Fu

Does anyone here watch Rome on HBO? The guy who plays Brutus could play Spock. But, he may be a bit old for what they are looking for.

Geekyfanboy

Star Trek XI Story Buzz
Is it a Starfleet Academy story or not?
by IGN Staff

March 1, 2007 - It has been widely reported that the next Star Trek film would be a Starfleet Academy story recounting how a young James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock first met as cadets. But, according to IGN's insiders, that is not quite the case.

IGN was informed that Trek XI -- to be directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci -- will be more of a "first adventure" for Kirk and Spock rather than their first meeting. It is possible that they met while at the Academy -- didn't it seem like Jim Kirk served with every young officer's father at the academy? -- but the movie will explore their first mission together.

One source claims there is a reason why the Starfleet Academy idea won't be central to the film: Harve Bennett, the producer of Star Trek II-V. IGN was advised that, since the Academy idea was Bennett's and has been kicked around for so long without success, Paramount and the filmmakers are going in the "first adventure" direction.

No sooner had we been told this than TrekWeb.com pointed out a new interview with Bennett in the latest issue of Star Trek Magazine. "It's a complicated issue for me…" Bennett told the magazine. "Right now, no one knows for sure what the next film is going to be. I thought it was interesting that the day after the story came out about them doing a Starfleet Academy movie, J.J. Abrams came out and said, 'That's not necessarily true.' I am assuming that the current regime at Paramount didn't realize that the studio had already bought that premise and someone went, 'Hold on a minute!'"

Bennett added, "It's possible they might do 'young Kirk and Spock' and, depending on what they do with it, it might be something I might not contest. But if they ever decide to do a Starfleet Academy film, my feeling is that they better call us because that was our baby."

Sources advised us that the plot will focus more on Kirk and Spock than the other characters, with Dr. McCoy being more of a supporting role. IGN recently reported that Paramount had three actors in mind for the roles of Kirk, Spock and McCoy, respectively: Matt Damon, Adrien Brody and Gary Sinise.

We must stress again that these are the actors that the studio wants; it does not mean that they will indeed be cast, although we hear that Damon is closer to becoming a reality than any other rumored contender. Repeated inquiries for confirmation or denial to Damon's reps at Endeavor and to Brody and Sinise's at CAA have gone unanswered.

Sinise is only available to work on other projects during his hiatus from CSI: NY, which we were told is scheduled for April to August 2007. If he is indeed cast, Sinise could conceivably film his scenes in August before segueing to CSI -- especially if McCoy is not a large role. If not, then Sinise might be unavailable to do Trek. However, some actors -- such as George Clooney juggling ER and Batman and Robin or Steve Carrell with The Office and his films -- have been able to do both TV and film projects simultaneously.

Damon is also awaiting a script rewrite before committing to starring in The Fighter, which could lens in Massachusetts this summer. Brody, meanwhile, has been rumored for the lead role in The Incredible Hulk, which begins filming this summer in Toronto.

We were also advised that actor James McAvoy is basically somebody Paramount has in mind to play Scotty; that's all. It may not even go beyond that.

The studio's recent press release announcing Abrams' hiring as director only gave a vague fall '07 start date for Trek. In movie production terms that could mean anytime from August to November.

Sources also advised IGN that soundstages on the Paramount lot will start being reserved starting in May.

Jen

Matt Damon looks alot like young Kirk. I hope he takes the role, I like his movies.
Here's something to think about: not only will Damon have to play the role of James T. Kirk, he will have to invoke Shatner playing Kirk. Can Damon pull off an impersonation of Billy boy? Sure, he's an Academy Award winner that's a big plus...but many people have impersonated Shatner as a joke. Will audiences see Damon's acting as a Saturday Night Live skit or a ligit performance? We're so use to SNL the skits and Shatner's-over-the-top personality....Hummm. ::)

I'll watch this movie whether he's in it or not. I love Star Trek too much not to go. :wub
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

duken

you have know idea how happy i am.

:D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeoman Mara

I also wouldn't mind Matt in the Kirk part.  He certainly has the charm of a young Kirk. 
A redhead with a lightsaber is a dangerous combination!