Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Kenny - is this officially confirmed info?  Where did you read this?  My guess is there are still a lot of possibilities for the film. 

Geekyfanboy

I got this from the Slice of Sci Fi Website

It's just a rumor ... and yes I agree.. until Comic Con things will just be rumors.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Hello!  :biggrin I just wanted to say that I am very excited about the new Star Trek movie.  It'll be interesting to see the very first voyage of the starship Enterprise under the command of Captain Kirk.  That is, assuming that's what the movie is about of coarse.  I wonder which characters will make it into the movie and which will not?  For example, Chekov could get a cameo as a lower-decks security guard.  8) However, I don't think we'll see McCoy in the movie since he didn't join the crew until some time between the 2nd pilot and the 3rd episode.

Bryancd

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on June 26, 2007, 03:28:31 PM
Hello!  :biggrin I just wanted to say that I am very excited about the new Star Trek movie.  It'll be interesting to see the very first voyage of the starship Enterprise under the command of Captain Kirk.  That is, assuming that's what the movie is about of coarse.  I wonder which characters will make it into the movie and which will not?  For example, Chekov could get a cameo as a lower-decks security guard.  8) However, I don't think we'll see McCoy in the movie since he didn't join the crew until some time between the 2nd pilot and the 3rd episode.

Based on that, don't expect to see Chekov either as he didn't show up until Season 2!

Dan M

Quote from: Rico on June 26, 2007, 10:09:15 AM
Kenny - is this officially confirmed info?  Where did you read this?  My guess is there are still a lot of possibilities for the film. 
This story originally appeared in a NYC tabloid, so its credibility is non-existent.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Bryancd on June 26, 2007, 03:44:39 PM
Based on that, don't expect to see Chekov either as he didn't show up until Season 2!
Chekov is a different matter, because he was a lower-ranked officer.  In Seasons 2 & 3, he was just the navigator.  The Wrath of Khan established that Chekov was on the Enterprise during Season 1 ("Spade Speed" is a Season 1 episode), so he must have had some lower decks job, probably a security or science officer.  Having Chekov in a small role in the new movie wouldn't violate continuity. :)

Bryancd

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on June 26, 2007, 03:55:29 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on June 26, 2007, 03:44:39 PM
Chekov is a different matter, because he was a lower-ranked officer.  In Seasons 2 & 3, he was just the navigator.  The Wrath of Khan established that Chekov was on the Enterprise during Season 1 ("Spade Speed" is a Season 1 episode), so he must have had some lower decks job, probably a security or science officer.  Having Chekov in a small role in the new movie wouldn't violate continuity. :)

Yes it would, just like Wrath of Kahn violated continuity. That's what continuity means and just beacuse it's violated doesn't make it canon. So the writers of the Wrath of Kahn decided to ingnore continuity and allow for Chekov to know Kahn. Yet we give them a pass by making up some dumb story about Chekov being on the lower decks. Do you really think the writters of this film will let a few episodes of TOS get in the way of them making their story?

Rico

Well, also keep in mind the biggest idea being tossed around is it's a young Kirk and Spock story.  Chekov is at least ten years younger than Kirk, so that might make him a teenager if the time era of this movie is the same we have been hearing (Academy days for Kirk/Spock).  Therefore - very doubtful he would turn up much.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Bryancd on June 26, 2007, 05:07:51 PM
Yes it would, just like Wrath of Kahn violated continuity. That's what continuity means and just beacuse it's violated doesn't make it canon. So the writers of the Wrath of Kahn decided to ingnore continuity and allow for Chekov to know Kahn. Yet we give them a pass by making up some dumb story about Chekov being on the lower decks. Do you really think the writters of this film will let a few episodes of TOS get in the way of them making their story?
Exactly which episode or movie states that Chekov was NOT a member of the Enterprise crew during the first season?  The writers of The Wrath of Khan didn't ignore continuity, they just forgot that Chekov was not in "Space Seed."  By the way, when continuity is changed, it's not a violation, it's called a retcon (retroactive continuity).

Quote from: Rico on June 26, 2007, 05:12:55 PM
Well, also keep in mind the biggest idea being tossed around is it's a young Kirk and Spock story.
It's also been said that it will be Kirk's first mission as Captain of the Enterprise.  However, this is rumor and speculation.

QuoteChekov is at least ten years younger than Kirk, so that might make him a teenager if the time era of this movie is the same we have been hearing (Academy days for Kirk/Spock).
It won't be an Academy movie, because it would be a total flop.  Only the fanboys care about Starfleet Academy.

Quotevery doubtful he would turn up much.
I'm not suggested he turn up a lot, just for a cameo.

I really didn't want to turn this into a Will Chekov be in ST11? thread. :wallbash: I was just asking who you guys feel will appear in the movie.  Obviously there's Kirk and Spock, but... who else?  Maybe Scotty?

Bryancd

McCoy and Scotty for sure will be included, maybe a very young Sulu. And unless it appears on screen, it never happened, that's canon and that's why Chekov WASN'T on the Enterprise for Season 1 by definition. :)

Dan M

IMO, TWOK was neither a continuity violation nor a retcon. 

Unless there was a scene in Space Seed which showed us each of the 400+ crewman onboard during that story, we can assume Chekov might have been aboard serving in some capacity other than bridge crew.

Sulu wasn't on the bridge in WNMHGB, but we know he was on the ship.

If there was a scene in Amok Time where someone welcomed Chekov to the ship, that'd be a different story.

Dan M

Quote from: Bryancd on June 26, 2007, 05:43:52 PM
Unless it appears on screen, it never happened, that's canon and that's why Chekov WASN'T on the Enterprise for Season 1 by definition. :)
Bryan believes that for the entirety of the five-year-mission, no crewmember ever went to the bathroom.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bryancd

I never saw it so it never happened ;)

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Bryancd on June 26, 2007, 05:43:52 PMunless it appears on screen, it never happened, that's canon and that's why Chekov WASN'T on the Enterprise for Season 1 by definition. :)
I'm sorry, but just because we didn't see Chekov in Season 1, that is NOT sufficient reason to assume he was not on the ship.  It's perfectly logical to conclude that he was elsewhere on the ship and simply wasn't seen due to the character having not been thought up yet.

Quote from: pickard on June 26, 2007, 06:11:04 PMIMO, TWOK was neither a continuity violation nor a retcon.  Unless there was a scene in Space Seed which showed us each of the 400+ crewman onboard during that story, we can assume Chekov might have been aboard serving in some capacity other than bridge crew.
Agreed, well said! :biggrin

QuoteSulu wasn't on the bridge in WNMHGB, but we know he was on the ship.
Yep, he was some kind of science officer or something.  However, I'm guessing the new movie might ignore this part and establish Sulu as having always been the pilot.

QuoteIf there was a scene in Amok Time where someone welcomed Chekov to the ship, that'd be a different story.
Indeed.  While "Amok Time" is the first episode with Chekov that aired, "Catspaw" is the first episode that Walter Koenig was filmed in.

Ktrek

I think Sulu was actually an assistant science officer.

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine