Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locutus

According to someone I interviewed who actually worked on TNG, Generations, First Contact, Voyager, insurrection and Nemesis (more than worked on, he was one of the top people in a department, but I won't tell you who) Berman had no love for Star Trek. And by the end, Paramount had no love for Berman. They strung him along until his contract ended, asking for constant rewrites of his script, which is a common practice. His contract stipulated that anything Trek-related that Paramount did he would get a part of, and have creative input. They didn't want that, so they ran him out and kicked him to the curb. Very shortly after his contract ended, they announced JJ Abram's was making a new Trek, which means they had it under wraps while they were waiting for Berman's contract to expire.

I'm not sure how much of Nemesis was fan-love. But you can stay true to the vision and source material while telling a kick ass story, and that's all that THIS fan is asking for. Just because fans want to see something doesn't mean it's good for the franchise. But if it adheres to continuity, isn't boring, and adds something of worth to the universe, it should be fine, and the fans will embrace it. Generally speaking.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Thanks for the input, but it's difficult to respond when the one who claims Rick Berman had no love for Star Trek is a complete mystery.  However, I don't blame Paramount for kicking Berman to the curb.  There had been a change in management during ENT's run.  The new runners of Paramount don't care about Star Trek and saw Rick Berman as the producer of a show with poor ratings and a movie that had flopped.  I don't blame them for deciding not to renew his contract.  However, I wasn't aware that his contract garunteed involvement in all future Star Trek productions.  That was a mistake on Paramount's part.  It's one thing to agree to allow a guy to create X number of movies, but to give absolute control over a major franchise?  Wow.

It seems there were a number of stories considered for ST11 including a 5th TNG movie, a movie featuring a mixture of 24th century characters, a new crew movie, a Romulan War trilogy, and now this TOS prequel movie.

It's possible that J.J.'s movie has been in development for all this time, but I sincerely doubt it.  He was the one who approached Paramount, so I'm pretty sure that started when the news articles said it did.

NEM was written by John Logan who claimed to be a huge Trekkie and said the movie was for the fans.  Take that as you will.  The problem with NEM wasn't really Rick Berman, but rather Stuart Baird who was forced into Berman's lap by the Paramount CEO's.  Had NEM been close to three hours, it might have been good, but Baird cut all the character seens out, leaving us with two hours of action that didn't have much meaning, because we didn't see most of the important character scenes.

Locutus

I'll agree with that. I'm sorry I can't tell you who I spoke to, but I told him I wouldn't.

" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Geekyfanboy

Star TrekLucas Company Involved With Next Trek Flick

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/07/03/lucas-company-involved-with-next-trek-flick/

George Lucas and his Industrial Light & Magic are no strangers to the Star Trek universe. It was ILM that provided the special effects for six out of the 10 Trek films including “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,” considered by the majority of Trek fandom as the finest film of the entire franchise and one of the best SF films ever made.

Now Anthony Pascale has filed a story over at Trek Movie Report that ILM has been called to duty by J.J. Abrams to do its thing for his version of “Star Trek,” the 11th film in the 40-plus year old franchise.

In related Trek news, screenwriter Roberto Orci recently told Latino Review that this 11th Trek film, which he and writing partner Alex Kurtzman have penned is more of an “introduction to the [Star Trek] world, but not necessarily exactly a prequel.”

We have learned that, despite what fans may have heard otherwise from news sources, both he and Kurtzman want William Shatner in this next film along with Leonard Nimoy, and that the NCC-1701 U.S.S. Enterprise will be an integral part of the movie.

Orci revealed that the script is finished and shooting is definitely set for this November. Various locations are being sought and sets are being built, and they are right in the middle of casting many of the major roles. As we reported earlier here on Slice, some of those casting choices will be revealed at this year’s Comic Con.

Rico

More and more good news in my eyes.

Poodyglitz

If only I could fast-forward time...

Ktrek

Yea...I think this is a very encouraging sign. At least it shows they are willing to spend some money this time around!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

ILM doing the special effects is fantastic news.  I am also glad the U.S.S. Enterprise is making an appearance.  Do you think it'll look as it did in the TV show?

What does Roberto Orci mean by, "introduction to the [Star Trek] world, but not necessarily exactly a prequel?"  If it's set before the 1960's TV show, it's a prequel. :blink

Ktrek

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 03, 2007, 10:07:10 PM
What does Roberto Orci mean by, "introduction to the [Star Trek] world, but not necessarily exactly a prequel?"  If it's set before the 1960's TV show, it's a prequel. :blink

So far as I know there has been no offical news announcing it as a "prequel". All we know is that Abrams has said that Kirk will "appear" in the film. Now with this news it's possible that a new crew will introduce people to Star Trek with appearances by known characters. I'm sure more info will be coming in November once shooting begins and the script leaks out. I'm actually surprised it hasn't yet!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Locutus

I knew it.

Zombies. It's always zombies.

Poodyglitz

ILM doing the special effects is fantastic news.  I am also glad the U.S.S. Enterprise is making an appearance.  Do you think it'll look as it did in the TV show?

Hopefully, it will look better.

Perhaps it will begin with Christopher Pike, middle with his tragic accident and end with Kirk taking command of the Enterprise.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Ktrek on July 03, 2007, 10:45:52 PM
So far as I know there has been no offical news announcing it as a "prequel". All we know is that Abrams has said that Kirk will "appear" in the film. Now with this news it's possible that a new crew will introduce people to Star Trek with appearances by known characters. I'm sure more info will be coming in November once shooting begins and the script leaks out. I'm actually surprised it hasn't yet!
If it's featuring Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise, and is set before the events of the TV show... doesn't that make it a prequel? :blink

I recently read news that the Enterprise will appear as it did in the TV show.  Woo-hoo! :biggrin

Ktrek

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 04, 2007, 09:46:23 AM
If it's featuring Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise, and is set before the events of the TV show... doesn't that make it a prequel? :blink

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between "appear" and "feature"? So far nothing offical has been said that the film will "feature" anyone or object you mention. Only that they "appear". Until there is official news it's all speculation and we can only go by what Abrams or Orci have said themselves, which is VERY little. Everyone just assumes that the story is going to be a TOS story but the fact is it may be a story set within the TOS timeframe and THAT makes more sense.

Kevin

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Considering how the production team keep going on about how they love TOS, and now we know Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise will appear in the movie, we can safely conclude that it will be a TOS story.  I could be wrong, but I believe that is what is going to happen.

Poodyglitz

I, for one, would rather wait until I sit my butt in the theater, wait another 20 minutes for the preivews to play and watch the story unfold. I don't want to hear spoilers or see a whole movie's worth of previews or stills.