Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Rico on July 05, 2007, 05:18:23 PM
Actually, the movie won't be a prequel to the ENTERPRISE series.  But it really doesn't matter how it's labeled.  All that matters is if we enjoy it and it's good.  The movie is simply going to be called:  STAR TREK.
I said it would be a prequel to Star Trek.  I didn't say it would be a prequel to Enterprise.  I agree, it's first and primary purpose is to entertain us.  I hope it does just that. :biggrin Why do you think it's called Star Trek?  That's the name of the TV series.  This new movie needs it's own title.

Darmok, well said.  Star Trek is only outdated in the superficial department (sets, costumes, acting, and so forth).  The stories have the same impact now they had 40 years ago. :biggrin

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 05, 2007, 06:24:48 PMStar Trek is only outdated in the superficial department (sets, costumes, acting, and so forth).  The stories have the same impact now they had 40 years ago. :biggrin

Some of the same stories can be told today with relevance:

Slavery/bigotry
The abuse of power
The depersonalization of technology
The imperfections of technology
The ravages of war
The evils of false prophets
Respect for an enemy

Imagine a Star Trek Darfur story, or one about leaders misguiding their people for personal gain? I could go on, but believe you get the message. Star Trek excelled at using metaphor to broach important topics while entertaining us.

I want Mr. Abrams to make me think and drool at the same time. Is that too much to ask?

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

When I heard J.J. Abrams was going to produce the movie, I thought it would be crap, because Alias and Lost are terrible TV shows.  However, after seeing Mission: Impossible III, I think he'll make a fantastic Star Trek movie. :biggrin

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 05, 2007, 07:24:10 PM
When I heard J.J. Abrams was going to produce the movie, I thought it would be crap, because Alias and Lost are terrible TV shows.  However, after seeing Mission: Impossible III, I think he'll make a fantastic Star Trek movie. :biggrin

The thing about it is that he brought back a bit of the original flavor of the TV series -- the team ethic. Tom Cruise turned "Mission: Impossible" into a self-centered vehicle and mangled it. "Mission: Impossible III" is the only one of the "Mission: Impossible" movies that I would actually watch again. Abrams isn't perfect, but he has a sense of style and a great respect for what has come before. He also respects his audience. Great hope abounds.

I genuinely liked the first season and a half of "Alias". From what I've heard, the network tried to force Abrams in another direction and he eventually let go. It went into a really bad place and never recovered. Although I did enjoy the season opener with Angela Bassett (because of her, not so much the scantily-clad Sydney). It at least showed a return to the original vibe of the series. It just never made it back. It was nice to see an action-adventure show with a sexy woman who was able and intelligent, was well as stylish. She wasn't Pamela Anderson and I was glad for it.

"Lost" I never developed a taste for. There was a short-lived series on ABC in the late '60s called "The New People" that it reminds me of. Just a more developed version of it.

I'm glad it's J.J. Abrams. The only other contenders in my book would be James Cameron (who left Hollywood to become Jacques Cousteau), Brian Singer (after "Superman Returns", I don't know -- but then again, he did develop "House, M.D.") or Sam Raimi.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

That's harsh.  I wouldn't say that Tom Cruise turned Mission: Impossible into a self-centered vehicle.  He's just an actor, afterall.  Personally, I enjoy all three movies, but I can see why some would dislike the second one.

I haven't seen much of Abrams work, so I cannot comment on his sense of style, but that's good to know that he respects what came before in addition to his audience.

If not for J.J. Abrams, my choice would be Bryan Singer.  A shame Paramount wouldn't sign a deal with him.  The man did awesome work with X-Men 1 & 2 and Superman Returns. :biggrin

Poodyglitz

I didn't mean to offend. It's just that the nature of that series was neglected when it initially went to the big screen (Cruise is a producer of those films as well as lead actor). As a kid, I watched "Mission: Impossible" on TV (up until Leonard Nimoy joined the cast). It was about a team of highly talented professionals banded together to overcome extraordinarily difficult circumstances. It was an ensemble piece. Now, the series had its share of negatives, but it had a unique flavor. Having seen all three films once, I'd elect to see the last one again. That's because of The Abrams Factor.

I respect what Tom Cruise has accomplished as an actor/producer in Hollywood and own "Minority Report". My other favorite Tom Cruise films are "The Firm" and "Rain Man". There was a time when I roared at "Risky Business", but now I'm the father of a teenage  girl... :ohwell

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

You didn't offend me at all.  By harsh, I ment harsh to Cruise, not to me.

Making the movie all about Tom Cruise rather than a team effort was probably a studio decission.  It's possible this was the result of Tom Cruise being producer, but why blame the man when we don't know for sure?  It just seems everyone wants to tear the man down for being a scientologist and acting stupid on Ohpra. :-\ I'm sorry you went to see the movie expecting it to be like the TV show.  In hindsight, it's clear that Paramount was basing the movies on the premise and then going in a new direction.  If it makes you feel better, most of Tom Cruise's movies are The Tom Cruise Show.  Wether that is because of the actor or the studio is unkown to me.

Wait... aren't we suppose to be discussing the new Star Trek movie? :ninja

I read that Nimoy will make a cameo. :)

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 05, 2007, 10:30:20 PMIt just seems everyone wants to tear the man down for being a scientologist and acting stupid on Ohpra. :-\

I'm actually tired of that tabloid crap. The press milked it and now it's in people's heads. The Scientology thing. The "gay" thing. The Oprah thing. Large targets are easy to shoot at. I'd actually not thought about it for a good long while, until tonight  -- mostly because I'd seen the "Tom Cruise" thread.

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 05, 2007, 10:30:20 PM
Wait... aren't we suppose to be discussing the new Star Trek movie? :ninja

I read that Nimoy will make a cameo. :)

If it happens, I hope it makes sense. Perhaps it will take the form of an interview of Spock at the end of his career looking back at when Kirk first took command of the Enterprise (or something like that). It would be a drag if they made the cameo too tongue-in-cheek.

I also wouldn't mind if none of the original cast were in this movie. Just let it be a great film.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

For once, I've met someone who ignores that tabloid crap.  His personal life is his business.  When it comes to his movies, I watch them based on the story and his character.  I don't care about what he does outside of the movie.

Having Spock look back on the events of the movie is lame (to me).  I've never liked the concept of framing a movie as a two-hour flashback.  I'd much rather see Leonard Nimoy play a different character, perhaps having a cameo as a Vulcan Ambassador.  If the movie must be framed as a flashback, I'd prefer to see the new Spock actor in old-age makeup.  That would be far more convincing.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 05, 2007, 10:49:57 PMI'd much rather see Leonard Nimoy play a different character, perhaps having a cameo as a Vulcan Ambassador.  If the movie must be framed as a flashback, I'd prefer to see the new Spock actor in old-age makeup.  That would be far more convincing.

That could be potentially confusing to the uninitiated (or even underinitiated) who later see a TOS movie or episode and mix up that character with Spock. I know that people like Mark Lenard played other roles, but Spock is very iconic. I'd probably even roll my eyes if he plays "Grandpappy Spork" or some other member of his family.

But that's just me.

Locutus

LOL, Spork!

And Lost is not an awful show, you just don't like it.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Rico

Three of my personal favorites:

Lost (they redeemed themselves this year in my eyes)
Alias (yeah it went downhill a bit at the end, but early on I loved it)
and of course Star Trek.

When I first heard JJ Abrams was tapped to do the next Star Trek movie I was very excited - and I still am very excited.

I do hope we learn more actual facts From Comic Con in a couple of weeks to put some of the rumors and speculation to rest.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Darmok on July 05, 2007, 11:23:51 PM
Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 05, 2007, 10:49:57 PMI'd much rather see Leonard Nimoy play a different character, perhaps having a cameo as a Vulcan Ambassador.  If the movie must be framed as a flashback, I'd prefer to see the new Spock actor in old-age makeup.  That would be far more convincing.

That could be potentially confusing to the uninitiated (or even underinitiated) who later see a TOS movie or episode and mix up that character with Spock. I know that people like Mark Lenard played other roles, but Spock is very iconic. I'd probably even roll my eyes if he plays "Grandpappy Spork" or some other member of his family.

But that's just me.
Did people think Colonel Worf in The Undiscovered Country was Worf from TNG?  I can't think of anyone who did.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on July 06, 2007, 08:37:37 AMDid people think Colonel Worf in The Undiscovered Country was Worf from TNG?  I can't think of anyone who did.

I don't believe that the character of Worf -- and especially not the actor Michael Dorn --  resonate with the general public the same way Spock and Nimoy do. Nimoy is way, way more recognizable than Dorn. Spock is, well... Spock.

Perhaps if they don't cast him as Old Spock, then they'll hide him in tons of latex and a moustache. I just hope that the appearance isn't too tongue-in-cheek. Like being The Old ProSpocktor on Rigel IX.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

When The Undiscovered Country came out, TNG was in it's 5th season and a major success.  Everyone knew who Worf was!  When The Undiscovered Country came out, people generally were aware that Picard's crew are a century ahead of Kirk's crew, therefore the Worf in that movie must be Worf's ancestor, his grandpa to be specific.

If Leonard Nimoy is going to be in the movie, he seriously needs to let go of the "Spock" character and let the new actor take over.  However, it would be interesting to see Leonard Nimoy playing a different Vulcan character.  How about Sarak's father?  That would be a nice twist.  Star Trek has had a few actors of well-known characters appear in other stories as that character's ancestor.  Brent Spiner played Data's creator's ancestor in three episodes of ENT, and Michael Dorn played Worf's grandfather in ST6:TUC.