Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

More Trek Casting News

Australian actor Chris Hemsworth ("The Cache," "Brothers") will play James T. Kirk's father, George Kirk. Ironically, in real life, Hemsworth is three years younger than actor Chris Pine, the man portraying the younger James T. Kirk, leading many to speculate that the George Kirk scenes will be flashbacks.

Another great casting choice by J.J. Abrams is Clifton Collins Jr. ("Alias," "Capote"). Collins will portray a bad guy by the name of Ayel. His character will partner up with the film's primary villain named Nero, played by Eric Bana.

Bryancd

OK, now that jibes well for the Winona Rider as Amanda casting, clearly the parents will appear in flashbacks.

Kirk-Fu

People keep talking about canon. I just dont think that it would be smart of Abrams to allow himself to get bogged down in it. I think you have to adhere to a certain amount of what has come before, but aside from that, I say have fun.

Plus, if we are going to get a series of movies, I think JJ is smart enough to keep his stories largely separate from the adventures we have already seen.

Lets assume for fun here, that the 70+ episodes of TOS all happened on Wednesdays, that leaves 6 other days of the week for JJ to spin his tales  :-)

Boothanew

You should look at my full list before judging my musical taste...i'm quite eclectic.

Trekkygeek

OMG, Chris Hemsworth. Up until recently, I watched him every night in the Australian soap "Home and Away". He was a main character who left the show a couple of months ago. I think my Missus secretly fancied him.
I tell you, this guy is seriously toned and I always had a feeling that he had movie star looks. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the big screen, and who knows, It might even convince my Sarah to come and see the new film with me. I'm really pleased for him.
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Geekyfanboy

House's Morrison Joins Trek

J.J. Abrams, director of Star Trek, told TV Guide that he has hired Jennifer Morrison (TV's House) for the cast of the reboot movie.

"She is indeed in the movie," Abrams told columnist Michael Ausiello. "And she is most excellent!"

Last week, Morrison was spotted outside one of Trek's Hollywood soundstages, sparking rumors that she had quietly come aboard the ensemble alongside Chris Pine, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban and Heroes' Zachary Quinto.

Abrams won't say what role Morrisson will play but denied rumors that she would be Yeoman Rand, the role originated by Grace Lee Whitney.

Geekyfanboy

Sarek — Spock's Father Cast for New Trek Film

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/11/19/sarek-spocks-father-cast-for-new-trek-film/

Veteran actor Ben Cross, most notable for his outstanding performance in the award winning film "Chariots of Fire" will now take up the legendary role of the the Vulcan Ambassador Sarek, the father of Spock, in the upcoming J.J. Abrams "Star Trek" feature film. Sarek was played by the late Mark Lenard for the first 40 years of the Star Trek franchise. We applaud Abrams — another great casting choice for a tough role to fill.

Cross, who will next be seen in the upcoming crime drama titled "Hero Wanted" with Cuba Gooding Jr. and Ray Liotta, also resurrected another famous role a few years back — starring as the vampire Barnabas Collins in the "Dark Shadows" remake.

He will join Winona Ryder, who we announced a few weeks ago, will portray Spock's human mother Amanda Grayson. The young Spock is played by "Heroes" star Zachary Quinto, while Leonard Nimoy will reprise his iconic role as the older Spock.

Filming has already begun and the movie will be in theaters on Christmas Day, 2008.

Rico

Great choice!  He will make a good Sarek.

Rico

Been awhile since I updated with some news here besides just the podcast.  Some pics have popped up online of Chris Pine as Kirk in some type of Academy uniform along with maybe a green Orion slave girl - maybe.  Take a peek....

iceman

wraith1701

NICE! ;D

They need to hurry up and give us a trailer!

Rico

This is cool news:

McGillion In Trek After All

TrekMovie.com reported that former Stargate Atlantis cast member Paul McGillion won an unspecified speaking role in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek movie.

The Scottish-born McGillion, who played Carson Beckett on Atlantis, had auditioned for the role of Scotty in Trek, a role that eventually went to Simon Pegg.

But McGillion's audition reportedly impressed filmmakers enough that they found a small speaking part for him.

McGillion finished shooting his role in November, reportedly a scene with Chris Pine (James T. Kirk).

P.S.  A trailer will be coming with "Cloverfield" on Jan. 18th.  Keep in mind they only have been filming a few weeks now on the movie.

Geekyfanboy

Where have you read this Rico.. about he Trailer being with Cloverfield.. I haven't seen it anywhere.

Rico

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on December 16, 2007, 04:48:59 PM
Where have you read this Rico.. about he Trailer being with Cloverfield.. I haven't seen it anywhere.

Been reported in several places for awhile now.  Since it's a JJ Abrams film, it makes sense.  I've mentioned it on the podcast a few times now too.  Check this link out:

http://trekmovie.com/2007/11/30/star-trek-teaser-coming-with-cloverfield/

Geekyfanboy

Writer Reveals Trek Details

Roberto Orci, co-writer of director J.J. Abram's highly anticipated Star Trek movie, told SCI FI Wire that the tightly guarded story for the upcoming franchise reboot depends heavily on the appearance of original series star Leonard Nimoy.

Orci (Transformers) added that the movie will explore Trek history that hasn't been mined before and confirmed that the story will take place before the events of the original series.

"There were many, many elements of the story that we had talked about just theoretically if ever Star Trek were to come back," Orci said in an interview in November. "There was lots of stuff we wanted to do, and that was a blessing. Normally you don't have that much investment and research for a project you get hired to do. If you are a fan of [classic] Star Trek, there is a lot of unexplored history. With the original series, there was so much that could have come before it. It felt like it has been The Next Generation and The Next, Next Generation for so long, it seemed like a fresh thing to go back to the source and to go back to what happened before it."

The crux of the screenplay involves the appearance of Nimoy in his iconic role as Spock. "I think a lot of people were speculating that we must have had multiple ideas [for the script]," Orci said. "The truth is that we took a gigantic gamble in terms of the movie we wanted to do, and it was essential that we had Nimoy. Frankly, I didn't understand any other way to do it. We didn't have a Plan B. I think that would have shown that we didn't have a true, singular vision of what we wanted to do, so it was essential for us to get Nimoy. It was a gigantic gamble, and I can't even believe that J.J. supported that kind of a gamble, but I think he understood it was the way to do it and a way to get the blessing for Star Trek, to show there is continuity for the spirit of what it was before. So when Nimoy said yes, not only as a fan was it a relief--if that didn't work, I don't know where we would be!"

Orci, who previously tackled a beloved franchise with Transformers (which he co-wrote with partner Alex Kurtzman), said that adapting Trek was even harder because of the dedicated fan base watching every move.

"The dangers are that now you are opening up yourself to the fact that the fans know what you know about the characters," Orci said. "They have their own ideas about what should be done and what is right for the franchise. So the goal with this movie is twofold. One is to make sure that the fans--who have been the stewards of the continuity and who are some of the most savvy and intelligent fans of any franchise ever--that they be satisfied with anything that has the name Star Trek on it. But, more importantly, the goal is really to introduce casual fans and people who don't know Star Trek at all to this universe and to connect it to today. ... The goal of Star Trek ... is that if you don't like sci-fi or know Star Trek, this will bring you into the world." Star Trek opens on Christmas Day 2008. --Tara DiLullo Bennett