Screw the iPad, look what I found in my pool!

Started by Bryancd, September 19, 2010, 05:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Been at least a year since I fished one of these suckers out. A Giant Hairy Scorpion. I had one once over 6" long. This one is about 4"

X

Ummm ... is that the secret to your swimming speed? Avoiding the scorpion hordes while doing laps? I'd be looking over the pool with a flash light every time I wanted to take a night swim.

Rico

WOW!  Do they live long when they end up in the water?

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2010, 05:57:52 PM
WOW!  Do they live long when they end up in the water?

Apparently they do, they go into a hibernation state. But this guy was dead.

KingIsaacLinksr

Holy moly but cmon, tell me that hasn't been in your pool long, that just creeps me out.  X_X

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on September 19, 2010, 06:54:06 PM
Holy moly but cmon, tell me that hasn't been in your pool long, that just creeps me out.  X_X

King

About a day, they fall in at night and I find them in the morning, mostly.

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bromptonboy

Pete

billybob476

wow, I'll stick to Canada where we occasionally have to fish beavers out of the pool.

Bryancd

The Giant Hairy is the largest scorpion in North America but the larger the scorpion, the less potent the venom. They don't need to pack a powerful punch because they are so big and have big claws. It's the tiny Bark scorpions we also have that can put you in a spot of bother. Not deadly, but they can make your arm numb for a week if they get you. We don't have any around our area of the valley, but I know of people who had infestations and it's not fun. They are VERY hard to kill.

Meds

You have a pool. I have a puddle. Mate I have no sympathy ;)

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 20, 2010, 07:10:09 AM
You have a pool. I have a puddle. Mate I have no sympathy ;)

Oh, it's no big deal, they give pools away when you move here. :)

Meds

It's like in England they give shirts away. ;) lol

QuadShot

Bryan, Joyce and I live up in Anthem, and we (no lie) see on average 10 bark scorpions per month here. At first, we used to get totally freaked out by them and wouldn't be able to relax for days. Now, even Joyce is like "Another scorpion"...Our garage looks like a scorpion grave yard! They are hard to kill, but, we found a pesticide that kills them almost on contact. It's from a company called TERRO, they make a scorpion spray that actually works. Thank God, we've never been stung!

Bryancd

The only one's I have found in our house, Al, and we find a few a year inside, are juevenille Giant's or Stripped. I goy stung last year on the back of my thigh and didn't realize it till later when the area got numb, but it was no big deal. I know a family in Chandler who had a Bark scorpion stin his hand and his arm was numb for a few days and it hurt like a mofo!