Sony NGP (PSP2)

Started by Jobydrone, February 07, 2011, 10:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Hot on the heels of Nintendo's announcement of their new portable comes Sony's unveiling of the NGP, the long awaited follow up to their handheld Playstation Portable. 

This device looks to be an amazing piece of tech.  A9 quad core processor, 5" OLED multi touch screen in front, capacitive multi touch pad on the back, front and rear facing cameras, six axis tilt/motion sensitivity, WIFI, 3G, microphone, stereo speakers, dual analog sitcks for control with Sony's standard four face buttons plus two shoulder buttons.  Sony proprietary flash memory carts will store and read games and game saves, no more disc based media here.  Early reports suggest games looking almost indistinguishable from current gen consoles.  PS3 on the go?  Looks like it will be here before the end of the year.

How much is this beast going to cost?  Guesses so far range from $250 - $500.  Given the price announced by Nintendo for their new device is $249 and the lowest priced iPad is flying off the shelves at $499, anything's possible.  I'd say that $349 is a likely launch price, possibly $399 but they'd be signing their own death warrant if it was more than that. 

I for one can't wait to get my hands on this thing.  how about you guys?

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Never been much into portable gaming.  No real place or time for it.  Only time I needed that type of thing was when I traveled for work a lot.  But it does sound like a nice piece of hardware.

Jobydrone

I never was either until the PSP.  I've loved my PSP, some great games are out for it and I think it's gotten a bad rap.  Then piracy pretty much destroyed the system, with hardly any 3rd party support ever since it became so easy to flash custom firmware onto the device.  Honestly I love the idea of next gen equivalent graphics and sound on a handheld.  Perfect for times the kids or wife is hogging the TV and I feel like some gaming.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

Hmm, its interesting.  But I'm not buying anything from Sony for the indefinite future so I'm not interested in it.  The question is if Sony can keep the price reasonable, with so many features jammed into this thing, I can't imagine the price is going to be very nice.  Time will tell..

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr