Osama bin Laden is dead...

Started by Bryancd, May 01, 2011, 07:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

I have to say, after all these years, I am proud of our efforts and those of our allies to kill this man. Their sacrifice wasn't in vane and the world is a safer place.

davekill

bevs_plaything

Great news!  I am watching the President live on the BBC now...God Bless the US!

:flying

ElfManDan

Well to his credit he's good at hide and seek, not so good at being bulletproof. I'm glad he's been taken care of after so long.

turtlesrock

yes i just heard!
i remember back on 9/11 my uncle was at our house and we were watching the towers fall over and over again. my mom thought this was not age appropriate so she said "let's go watch jay jay the jet airplane!"

Feathers

Hmmm...

Just watching the news now.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Meds

My initial reaction is good riddance to murdering ba€%#*d and well done all the brave soldiers from all countries alive & passed.  My thoughts now are hoping we have no revenge attacks. Be aware everyone that security will be tightened and for obvious reasons.

It also appears they buried him at sea to stop and shrines being built. Poor sharks, imagine eating him.

Rico

Bromptonboy

Should be interesting as the details emerge about how he was hiding in plain sight like that in a large city in Pakistan.  There is still his #2 to find as well - I think that most operational details were not being handled by OBL.  We'll see. 
Pete

Feathers

Operationally, I would think this will make zero difference (other than annoying the people on the sharp end). It's not like he was a one man terrorist band.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

Yeah, from an operational standpoint for Al Queda it's not likely a big deal. From a motivational/inspirational/and possibly recruiting standpoint perhaps it is more impactfull.

turtlesrock

i don't understand it. even though he did bad things, and killing him is a way to stop those bad things, why kill him? why not put him in prison for life? ???
sure it would cost more money, but still.

Bryancd

Quote from: turtlesrock on May 02, 2011, 07:12:53 AM
i don't understand it. even though he did bad things, and killing him is a way to stop those bad things, why kill him? why not put him in prison for life? ???

That could still provide him a platform. It also could keep his support alive and well for years to come. His death may result in some short term feeling of martyrdom and inflame his support, but that will likely be short lived. You don't leave guys like this alive.

turtlesrock

Quote from: Bryancd on May 02, 2011, 07:16:03 AM

That could still provide him a platform. It also could keep his support alive and well for years to come. His death may result in some short term feeling of martyrdom and inflame his support, but that will likely be short lived. You don't leave guys like this alive.

but doesn't his death anger his supporters even more? possibly to the point of another attack?

Bryancd

Quote from: turtlesrock on May 02, 2011, 07:17:17 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on May 02, 2011, 07:16:03 AM

but doesn't his death anger his supporters even more? possibly to the point of another attack?

Possibly, but it will likely be short term in nature. Keep him sitting in a US prison and it's game on for a long time.