Osama bin Laden is dead...

Started by Bryancd, May 01, 2011, 07:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

Media analysis over here suggests that a living but captive Bin Laden would provoke a larger terrorist reaction than a dead Bin Laden. Obviously, I've no idea if that's true or not (and I'm not offering it as a defence for his killing).

Either way, what's done is done. At this point I think the bigger issue, is how the US handles this. At the moment, the pictures of Americans rejoicing in the streets are not playing universally well (not here anyway).

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

Quote from: Feathers on May 02, 2011, 07:31:12 AM
Media analysis over here suggests that a living but captive Bin Laden would provoke a larger terrorist reaction than a dead Bin Laden. Obviously, I've no idea if that's true or not (and I'm not offering it as a defence for his killing).

Either way, what's done is done. At this point I think the bigger issue, is how the US handles this. At the moment, the pictures of Americans rejoicing in the streets are not playing universally well (not here anyway).

That's the way I read it as well, Mike. In regards to the spontaneous clebration at Ground Zero, it was pretty small and it is New Youk where the feeling are still very raw ten years later. I doubt you will see anyhting else like that occuring.

KingIsaacLinksr

No matter how you look at this, there was no right way of dealing with him.  We just have to hope killing him was the lesser of two evils...

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Gotta love analysts.  Umm, I'm guessing and assuming there wasn't an option of "bringing him in alive" so the point is moot.

As far as "celebration" here.  There are over 300 million American's around.  99.99% of us are at work, school, home, etc. doing our normal thing today.  People really need to put things in perspective.  I barely have time to cut my own lawn, let alone run around in the streets banging a drum for some dead despot.

Bryancd

Yeah, the characterization that we are celebrating in the streets is extreme hyperbole. Nothing of the sort is happening.

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on May 02, 2011, 08:31:33 AM
Yeah, the characterization that we are celebrating in the streets is extreme hyperbole. Nothing of the sort is happening.

I think that's called bad journalism. ;)

Jobydrone

Oh well.  I imagine that very few Americans give a damn how the rest of the world views our reaction to this insane murderer's successful assassination.  
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on May 02, 2011, 08:34:11 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on May 02, 2011, 08:31:33 AM

I think that's called bad journalism. ;)

I think the bigger celebrations were handled on Twitter/FaceBook....as we worked. ;)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

ElfManDan

Well it's not a great big celebration, but everybody seems to be pretty glad about it. I keep hearing about it everywhere. So depends on your definition of celebration.

And so I heard Osama and his people wouldn't surrender and so the US Forces had no other choice but to just kill them. So I've heard of course (I haven't really been following it all that much, just picking up on information).

Meds

The rest of the world matters my friend. Don't forget that.

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on May 02, 2011, 08:55:24 AM

Well, there is that one little bit that we don't talk about... ;)

Jobydrone

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on May 02, 2011, 08:55:24 AM

Of course, and I wouldn't suggest otherwise.  I'll just say, that personally, I don't give a crap if anyone, American or not, wags their head disapprovingly when we celebrate the fact that a terrorist murderer responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocents has been brought to justice.  I imagine many Americans feel the same.  I would guess that the families and loved ones affected by the Al Quada train bombings in London are feeling very strong feelings today as well.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

QuadShot

Quote from: turtlesrock on May 02, 2011, 07:17:17 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on May 02, 2011, 07:16:03 AM
Quote from: turtlesrock on May 02, 2011, 07:12:53 AM
i don't understand it. even though he did bad things, and killing him is a way to stop those bad things, why kill him? why not put him in prison for life? ???
sure it would cost more money, but still.

That could still provide him a platform. It also could keep his support alive and well for years to come. His death may result in some short term feeling of martyrdom and inflame his support, but that will likely be short lived. You don't leave guys like this alive.

but doesn't his death anger his supporters even more? possibly to the point of another attack?

If you put a snake in a cage, he'll constantly attempt to escape, and there is a very real danger he may bite you while you try feeding him. Cut the head off that snake...well, HE can't harm up. It's easier to deal with possible retaliation for a death then it is to keep someone locked up. His supporters would try even more desparate things to break him free, causing massive loss of lives.

QuadShot

This is not a debate I want to partake in, nor is analyzing this situation something I wish to do. What happened happened. We do not know what the actual situation was like. I'm quite sure that they did what needed to be done, period. What matters is that it was done. Although the world may be the tiniest bit better without the likes of Bin Laden, I do not join in the celebration that someone has been killed. Yes, he was a bad man. Yes he is (at least partly) responsible for a great many deaths. But the bottom line is our soldiers were forced to take a life. We should never "party" when a life is taken. Not even a life that is so horribly outside social norms that they are viewed as evil. I think that we need to say a prayer for everyone affected by this. Our side, their side, what does it matter? Until we can feel regret over killing another human being, yes, even someone like Bin Laden, we'll never get past this. I've read several things that say that the victims and families of the 9/11 attack finally have closure. Really? You think so? This solved NOTHING. Killing Bin Laden won't ever bring those lost back. Justice WAS served. But closure? I think not.

That's all I'm saying about this. Soap box put away! :)

Meds

Look The Isle of White is perfectly fine Bry ;)

I'm 100% sure those (myself included) affected by the London attacks are very pleased the SOB is dead but I don't see celebrations here. We're a country who has been attacked by terrorists since the 1960's, and know that all is not at peace just yet. When I know another soldier and their families won't suffer, when I know another innocent victim won't be killed then I'll celebrate.

On another point I'm glad they killed him, if they locked him up he'd be in a nice comfy cell, a tv (with cable), rights to his countries food, prayer time, rest time, showers etc. He's been in caves and safe houses for ten years. Locking him up would have been giving him a hotel.