Osama bin Laden is dead...

Started by Bryancd, May 01, 2011, 07:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

It sounded like he was living pretty comfy as it was! That's alarming, amazing how the Pakistan's weren't able to find him living around the corner from a military academy and all.  ::)

In regards to the actual killing, I think it's important to recall that we are in a declared stat of war with Al Queda, assuming you can declare war on a non-nation, and as they head of that organization, he is a credible military target. This wasn't a murder, it was an act of war.

billybob476

The killing part will be debated for many years to come. I don't disagree with it, though it makes me wonder what would have happened at the end of WW2 if Hitler hadn't committed suicide.

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on May 02, 2011, 09:52:59 AM
The killing part will be debated for many years to come. I don't disagree with it, though it makes me wonder what would have happened at the end of WW2 if Hitler hadn't committed suicide.

Assuming he was captured, likely tried and executed. Similar to what happend to Hussein. Both had lost the support of their people, both were the heads of states which engaged in genocide. A lot of similarities and likely similar results.

There could have been a lot of shooting in the raid, we can't assume he was going to just surrender.

KingIsaacLinksr

Well, we did figure Pakistan was hiding him, this seems to prove it...

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Feathers

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on May 02, 2011, 10:07:17 AM

King

Ooooh, be very, very careful chucking accusations like that around...

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

Quote from: Feathers on May 02, 2011, 10:18:52 AM
Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on May 02, 2011, 10:07:17 AM

King

Ooooh, be very, very careful chucking accusations like that around...

Yeah, I don't think that was a widely accepted conspiracy and although this looks bad, I'm not ready to throw them under the bus.

Feathers

There's been a bit of discussion here about whether Pakistan knew the US were going in.

Firstly, it would have been an act of war against Pakistan if they didn't and secondly, helicopters aren't exactly invisible so the feeling seems to be that Pakistan knew this was happening even though no ones admitting it.

QuadShot

Quote from: Feathers on May 02, 2011, 10:23:45 AM
... and secondly, helicopters aren't exactly invisible so ...
One word..."Airwolf"!!! :)

Feathers

Quote from: QuadShot on May 02, 2011, 10:30:44 AM
Quote from: Feathers on May 02, 2011, 10:23:45 AM
... and secondly, helicopters aren't exactly invisible so ...
One word..."Airwolf"!!! :)

Whisper mode!

(Aledgedly a simulator manufacturer who shall remain nameless asked Boeing how 'whisper mode' worked on the Chinook a few years ago. The bigger surprise was that it was a serious question from an organisation that ought to have known better.)

Bryancd

AP is reporting that bin Laden was firing on the Special Ops soldiers during the raid, so there likely was a firefight which contributred to his being shot. ike i said above, i don;'t think he had his hands up to surrender and was gunned down.

Meds

Makes you wonder doesnt it that the UK pledges 650 million pounds in aid to Pakistan only a few weeks ago and suddenly he turns up in a massage parlour eating fondue. (Ps legal department I made the last bit up)

KingIsaacLinksr

I realize that's a conspiracy, but his location being like it was is a really suspicious deal.  Whether Pakistan knew or not is uP for the politicans to decide at this point. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on May 02, 2011, 11:19:58 AM
Makes you wonder doesnt it that the UK pledges 650 million pounds in aid to Pakistan only a few weeks ago and suddenly he turns up in a massage parlour eating fondue. (Ps legal department I made the last bit up)

The informant who has been working with the CIA for a number of years now to set this up has been allegedly whisked to the US along with his family and is eligable for a $20million reward. Well earned, I would say.

jedijeff

I suspect with the killing of Bin Laden, that no one is real sure what the outcome and response will be, and all the leaders are probably holding their breath somewhat. I have not read a lot of details on what happened, but sort of sounded like the news on his death was leaked and they had to address it before they may have wanted to.

I wonder how people who lost family or friends to the terrorist events over the past few years feel, I wonder if they feel any sort of closure, or a hollow or anti climatic feeling.

I am not sure, but I feel a bit more uneasy today then I did yesterday, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Meds

Quote from: Bryancd on May 02, 2011, 11:31:17 AM

The informant who has been working with the CIA for a number of years now to set this up has been allegedly whisked to the US along with his family and is eligable for a $20million reward. Well earned, I would say.

Well earned in deed. I hope a change of ID and a media blanket is on issue as well.