The Sarah Connor Chronicles - spoilers

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 29, 2006, 11:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I've simply decided for this that the movies are sort of one version and the TV series is another.  They've tried to connect them as best they can but there are going to be some differences.  It doesn't really bother me as long as I still enjoy what I'm watching.

X

I was just thinking more on the terminator universe and realized, after debating with my wife, that the entire premise of the movie is flawed.

In the begining we have John sending his father back to protect his mother from the Terminator. Now if they didn't do that, John would have never existed to send Kyle back. Let's ignore that part for a second.

The terminator arrives and promptly begins to kill every Sarah Connor in the area because it doesn't know which Sarah Connor is the right Sarah Connor. It fails and is destroyed.

Flash forward to the next movie and not only does the Terminator know who the right Sarah is, it knows who John is. It is able to easily track down John and knows what he looks like, yet there was no forwarding of information to Skynet to give it the necessary information to ID either John or Sarah.

Ignoring the third movie because of the time jump and we have another situation where they know who John is and where he is. Unless skynet read his myspace or facebook page in the future, they shouldn't know who he is at all or what Sarah looks like. Somehow they do. They shouldn't know where they are living at, but they do.

Every time something happens for John to encounter a terminator, he comes from the experience having learned more about their technology. He has created a temporary Skynet by allowing an AI to control an entire city. What's stopping Skynet, a massive super AI, from sending these innept Terminators into the past, not to kill John, but to put him into the position to facilitate it's creation?

Would Sarah had slept with Rease if there wasn't the emotional rollacoaster of being hunted? Would John trust a machine if one wasn't sent back to establish that trust in the first place? Why would machines need humans as slave labor and put them in work camps when they should be able to do everything the humans could do, only better? Why do we never see John? Why hasn't a Terminator been sent back just to wait until judgement day to tell Skynet what work camp John would first try to escape from and have him killed then before he mounts the resistance? Why would moving three people forward in time be a reason that Judgement Day is delayed if none of those people have anything to do with the creation of Skynet?

I think the answer is Chess. Skynet and John are playing a game of Chess and the Terminators and Resistance are the pieces on the board. Humans are still allowed to exist because the game isn't over yet and both Skynet and John know that the game will be played regardless of which version of Skynet is the one playing.

Maybe he's guilty that he created Skynet and knows that it will happen. The only thing he can do is make sure that it's a skynet that won't make humanity extinct.

MouseSlayer

again i reiterate,  the theory i hold is that you may not eliminate events in the future but one could alter the circumstances and mitigate the damage. at least thats what i gleaned from the few terminator books that i read
insert humorous quote here*

Locutus

Just X, your theories intrigue me and I'd like to buy your newsletter.

Seriously, you've eliminated with two posts every issue I had (except for the ones about the unresolved story lines, which, as I've said, I've recanted from since they were ... unresolved).

The TS connection makes sense, even though I recall River saying something about only living tissue going through the portal - but if metal could go through why didn't they take the gun? Unless it would be useless because of all the non-metal parts.

I like the theory about chess. It makes a certain kind of paranoid sense that I can completely grok.

MouseSlayer, I can follow and somewhat agree with your "can't change the events but mitigate the damage" theory. But then you would have to accept the concept of Manifest Destiny and/or predestination. Which means that fate does not exist, and the only choices we have are to destroy everything now or later, and how bad it's going to be. If that was a theory we could all accept, the practical uses would be beneficial - for instance, we would no longer be responsible for cheating on our loved ones - it was going to happen, we just had to choose the least damaging way of doing it ... . I think this is the point where I draw that line, myself. Maybe the main events of history are the nexus of destiny that all paths lead to, but the journey is within our control?

Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Geekyfanboy

Chronicles Star Says Series Renewed by Fox

Written by: Michael Hickerson (SoSF Staff Journalist)

While there's been no official word yet from Fox on whether or not "Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles" will get a second season, unofficial word from one of the show's stars can be seen as a positive.

Actor Thomas Dekker, who plays John Connor on the show, recently told E! On-Line's "According to Kristen" column that producers are meeting with FOX and pitching stories for a second season. There were also unnamed sources that the second season will go into production this summer and hit airwaves this fall.

While this could be seen as positive news, we must caution readers that FOX's position is that we'll find out about a second season of the show at the upfronts in May and that no official decision has been made.

Locutus

Well, FOX is the Most Canceled Network, so about the only thing to do is wait and see.

And don't get your hopes up. Firefly, anyone?
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

moyer777

Here is the three minute clip that they read my email on... it's funny.  Enjoy

http://www.christrocks.com/forum/terminator.mp3

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

More Positive Signs for TSCC

Story submitted by: Tim J Mapes (SoSF Fan)

According to TV Guide's Michael Ausiello, things are looking up for fans of the recent Fox show, "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles." "It looks like she'll be back," he said.

Ausiello states that the producers have been told they can begin lining up directors for the first trio of episodes of Season 2.

"While this is no guarantee that SCC is returning , it's obviously a very good sign," Ausiello said.

Of course, Fox continues to deny any progress has been made. "No decision about a second season has been made yet," said a spokesperson for the network.

MouseSlayer

they're being stubborn, i have a 4 year old that acts similarly. doesn't want to admit when someone else is right.
insert humorous quote here*

Geekyfanboy

hmmm this is interesting...

Enitech's Open Source Research - Gardner Project Discussion

Story submitted by: Chris Parker (SoSF Contributor)

IS IT REAL or MEMOREX? — The Machines Are Coming!

It looks as though the machines are coming sooner than we thought. Enitech Labs recently developed a camera that uses tachyon technology to allow users to photograph the future.

After using the camera the image is processed, revealing the same scene time-shifted by 3 years and 3 days into future. The website contains videos and a blog that chronicles the initial testing of this technology and some startling results, primarily a photo of San Francisco that suggest that the city will be destroyed, that have placed all people involved at risk.

Their website seems to be a tie-in with the Fox Channel's "Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles." They seem to have gone to a lot effort to set up this site and it tries to tell an intriguing story; perhaps one that will be explored in next season's episodes.

This is the first video of their efforts to date on the Gardner Project. Enitech Research Labs, is looking for users to submit their ideas for images that they can take with their new device. They want to solicit your comments as to what sort of discoveries they can uncover with their device and how to avoid the "observer effect."

Geekyfanboy

There are six videos.. it's must be a viral campaign but I haven't heard anything about this. Here are more videos

spidey27

Allthough Fox declined comment, multiple sources confirm to me exclusively that Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles has been renewed for a second season.

Source: TVGuide.com, Michael Ausiello  :spidey

Geekyfanboy

'Sarah Connor' gets second season

Fox renews sci-fi show for another year
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER from Variety

"Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" has seen the future, and it's on Fox.

Fox has greenlit a second season of the franchise series, picking up 13 episodes for next season. Move wasn't a surprise; Fox has been developing potential companion series to the sci-fi hour-long, and in meetings with advertisers have discussed several potential scheduling scenarios that include the show.

Pickup was also a no-brainer, as "Sarah Connor" reps one of the year's most successful frosh entries - averaging a 4.4 rating and 10 share among adults 18-49, as well as 10.5 million viewers overall.

Series, a spin-off of the successful "Terminator" film franchise, revolves around a woman and her son battling futuristic robots. Lena Headey stars as Sarah Connor, while Thomas Dekker plays her son, John. Richard T. Jones stars as FBI aent James Ellison, while Summer Glau plays Cameron.

Warner Bros. TV is behind "Sarah Connor," which is exec produced by Josh Friedman and John Wirth.

Geekyfanboy

Brian Austin Green Now A 'Sarah Connor' Regular

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: SyFy Portal
Apr-22-2008

Not only is "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" back for a second season on Fox, but now it's getting Brian Austin Green full-time.

The former "Beverly Hills 90210" actor was featured in the first season in the recurring role of Derek Reese, the uncle of John Connor (Thomas Dekker) and brother to Kyle Reese who impregnated Sarah Connor in the original "Terminator" movie in 1984.

Green joins Dekker along with Lena Headey and Summer Glau as series regulars. Headey plays title character Sarah Connor while Glau will continue in her role as the friendly neighborhood Terminator known as Cameron.

Fox, as expected, gave the series a 13-episode initial order, with the possibility of a nine-episode expansion for its second season. The show, while losing more than half of an inflated initial audience (it premiered following playoff football on Fox), "Sarah Connor" remained the top new scripted series among adults between the ages of 18 to 49, according to Fox, a key demographic.

The series is produced by C2 Pictures and Warner Bros. Television with Josh Friedman and John Wirth as executive producers.

It is not clear when the show will return to the schedule as Fox has yet to announce its 2008-09 television schedule.

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com