E3 2011 news and updates

Started by Jobydrone, June 07, 2011, 08:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

E3, arguably the biggest and most exciting video game trade show, started yesterday with Sony's and Microsoft's press conferences where they detailed their plans for the next year of video game development for their respective console systems.  Nintendo's starts in just a few minutes where it is expected they will unveil their new hardware, the Wii 2 or whatever they plan to call it.  I thought we could use this thread to talk about any of the exciting announcements we hear about this week.

Yesterday Sony announced the name and price of their new handheld system:  The Playstation Vita, $249 wifi only and $299 for 3G.  Same price in Euros so our friends across the pond get hosed by almnost 50%.  This is a very competitive price though, considering all the advanced tech in this system ( 5" OLED touch screen, touch controls on the back, dual joysticks, wifi and 3G connectivity, quad core processor).  I am stoked for this device, I've loved my PSP and can't wait to see some of the games on this new system.  At that price it is a day one purchase for me.

Sony also announced a bundle meant to entice people to join them in their 3D world.  A 24" 3D (TV or monitor, unsure which) with a pair of 3D glasses, special HDMI cable designed for 3D and a copy of Resistance 3 in 3D for $499.  This looked like a pretty exciting bundle for me.

Honestly I saw nothing from Microsoft that excited me in the least.  A bunch of new Halo announcements that does nothing for me personally.  Their press conference was a bust IMO.  Looking forward to Nintendo in a few minutes.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Did Sony announce that they also were hiring experienced hackers to work on their swiss cheese network?  LOL!   :roflmao

Jobydrone

They did mention their recent problems and apologized to their customers and content partners, but they (understandably) seemed to be doing their best to look forward rather than backward.  They did a good job, from my standpoint anyway, of getting me excited about the future of Sony video gaming.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

Nintendo just announced the name of their new console:  Wii U.  We You?  Wii U.

The focus of their conference has been first party software:  New Mario games for 3DS, new Zelda for all of their platforms.  Starfox, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS.  Nothing groundbreaking or unexpected.  Looking forward to seeing more about their new console, slated for release next year.

billybob476

It might mean something in Japanese again.

Jobydrone

Very interesting...the Wii U is NOT a console, it is a new peripheral for the Wii.  They are not talking about a new console at this time...I'm confused.  Is there going to be a new Wii?  Or is this just a new control mechanism?  I thought they announced a new console that is supposed to be on par power wise with the PS3 and 360.  This isn't it.

edit:  They have clarified they are displaying the controller for the new console.  It's a twin "circle pad" wireless controller with full motion controlls, gyroscopes, eight face buttons, a control pad, and a 6" touch screen in the middle.  It's only compatible with their new console, not the current Wii.

billybob476

I thought they mentioned that the new console would be out in 2012.

Jobydrone

It's not been officially dated yet.  Some have speculated this holiday season.  They're announcing huge titles currently only on PS3 and 360 for the new Wii U:  Assassain's Creed, Batman Arkham City, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Darksiders 2.  They are pushing for the hardcore gamer to come back to Nintendo with these titles.

KingIsaacLinksr

I didn't watch the Microsoft part as I was at work, but it seemed like they didn't get a great reception from what I heard.  Sony apologized, etc and then moved onto their incredibly overpriced technology like that TV.  Which is terrible funny to me.  They show off this new technology where if your doing Co-Op, you can, when the 3D glasses are put on, see the screen from your perspective and it looks like one screen for two people.  Yet the TV that they show off only comes with one pair of glasses, is not that big and is way overpriced.  

Just found it funny.  

CCP, developer of Dust 514, also drew a lot of flak for being exclusive to PS3 especially in the wake of Sony's failings.  But then again, it sounds like they are stuck between a rock and a hard place because Microsoft refuses to have any of their games even remotely connect with PS3 games so its pretty much MS being their usual self I guess and ticking the devs like they have been for the past year+.  

Overall, watching this E3 event reminded me why I hate the "Console Wars".  

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jobydrone

I think it's great...it's capitalism at its best, head to head competition driving companies to innovate and create new and exciting technologies and experiences.  As the tech changes we see bigger and bigger differences between these three companies.  Kinect being much different than Move and neither providing the same experiences Nintendo offers.  It's a great time to be a gamer.

And that sony TV sounded super cool to me...somehow, when playing co-op games, rather than showing split screen for each player, each player sees different images while looking at the same screen.  I didn't understand how it was possible which was why I didn't mention it.  Seemed like some kind of magic or something.

edit:  lol you changed your post Tim so my first paragraph doesn't make as much sense

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on June 07, 2011, 10:15:44 AM
I think it's great...it's capitalism at its best, head to head competition driving companies to innovate and create new and exciting technologies and experiences.  As the tech changes we see bigger and bigger differences between these three companies.  Kinect being much different than Move and neither providing the same experiences Nintendo offers.  It's a great time to be a gamer.

And that sony TV sounded super cool to me...somehow, when playing co-op games, rather than showing split screen for each player, each player sees different images while looking at the same screen.  I didn't understand how it was possible which was why I didn't mention it.  Seemed like some kind of magic or something.

I guess I don't view this the same way.  But then again I switched over to PC about 3.5 years ago and I'm quite happy with this platform.  Yes, I know I have to upgrade as time moves along, (about as many times as they release consoles...) but at least I don't have to ask my friends, "Hey, you got a PS3 or an XBOX + this peripheral?".  All they have to do is have a decent enough PC/Mac (which most do now) and away we go.  No silly peripherals, no restrictions.  (The Kinect is impressive sometimes though I will admit, but its still too early to game with).  Plus, being able to use the computer for other things is a nice. 

Even mobile is more open, with Droid and iOS games starting to get ported to both sides of the fence.  So I guess I view the PS3/XBOX fight as fairly petty.  But I guess this is just a minority view, as apparently the rest of the gaming verse is just happy with this.  

King

Jobydrone

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on June 07, 2011, 10:26:21 AM
Then there's this link, Tim...

http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=9023.0

*Happier, but not completely satisfied, probably should have specified that. 

Now that its working again, I forget about my earlier anger till it quits working, then I go HULK SMASH ;)

King

KingIsaacLinksr

And really Joby, I was only talking about the PC & consoles as far as gaming is concerned, not about the inherent hardware/software problems that come up.  If we go down this path, I could talk about the red-ring-of-death on XBOX, the latest Sony PSN network shutdown, etc and etc, but I'm not going there in this thread ;) 

King

Jobydrone

I know, I was just joking bro.