nerd or geek?

Started by turtlesrock, August 29, 2011, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

would you consider yourself a nerd or a geek (or both)?  

nerd
0 (0%)
geek
10 (45.5%)
all of the above
11 (50%)
none of the above
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Bryancd

That's a great point, Kenny. There really was a distinction between nerd and geek back in the 80's with nerd including people who got A's in math or knew how to use a computer. Nowadays computer proficiency is more ubiquitous and nerd has lost some of that connotation. I was a good student but not a nerd in that sense.

WillEagle

My brother calls me nerd but he does in a fun way. So I don't mind it at all. And my wife calls me a geek sometimes and she thinks I'm "all that." So if two of my favorite people in the world call me those how can I not like both!

davekill

Cool, you got your poll going turtlesrock.

I vote Geek.

Jobydrone

Don't forget that the geek was originally the freaky guy at the travelling sideshow that used to bite the heads off of chickens.    The connotation of both words has changed over the years but even so neither term is generally considered complimentary.  Anyone can of course take it however they choose, and think of themselves however they want.  Personally I dislike labels of any sort.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

spaltor

In my mind, "nerd" is more about academic intelligence.  "Geek" is more about passion and fandom.  I would consider myself both.  :)

Geekyfanboy

Found this picture online.. not sure I agree with it.

Dangelus

Yeah I don't agree with that. They are just describing two degrees of social functionality and and attributing likes and dislikes to them. We know there is much more of a crossover than that.

Rico

Very, very old stereotypes in that picture. 

Feathers

...as well as the old 'can't like ST and SW at the same time' cliche.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

billybob476

Quote from: Feathers on September 22, 2011, 06:19:48 AM
...as well as the old 'can't like ST and SW at the same time' cliche.

Are you guys crazy? Star Trek is for nerds! Who would like that?!

NERDS!!!!

:D

QuadShot

I propose we create a new classification that epitomizes US, here on the forums by combining the two? How about: GERD? (no wait, that's something entirely different!), Ok, how about: NEEKS? Yeah, that's it. I'm a NEEK! :)

Rico

Neek!  I like that!  :)

Feathers

Or even Gneek with a silent G?

QuadShot

Oooh, even better! Behold, the birth of the GNEEKS!!! :)

Feathers

Treks in Sci-Fi, the home of gneeks everywhere? Sharing the gneek love? OK, maybe I'd better stop sloganising.