nerd or geek?

Started by turtlesrock, August 29, 2011, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

would you consider yourself a nerd or a geek (or both)?  

nerd
0 (0%)
geek
10 (45.5%)
all of the above
11 (50%)
none of the above
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

turtlesrock

M-5

Bryancd

I actually like both as descriptors for me. :) They both have their own charged appeal.

QuadShot

I consider myself a geekynerd.

Jobydrone

Neither, I'm a dude with good taste in entertainment.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

In a somewhat more serious note, I do think that these words can be used to cause harm. There was a recent debate on the ForceCast about the word "nerd" and whether or not it was  insulting and hurtful or something to be embraced. As a kid, I was called a nerd frequently although I didn't really fit the common stereotype. It didn't bother me too much but I know other friends who may have been more stereotypical "nerd" and they were called that to hurt their feelings. Now that I am an adult, it's meaningless and more often then not for me amusing to be referred to as such. But I really don't fit the stereotype now which makes it even funnier to me. Now, would I feel different if say I was single, living at home, out of shape, ect, ect., ect.? Very possibly.

QuadShot

That's a great point Bryan. You'd probably have a difficult time now believing this (if you saw me!), but in my youth I was the picture of athlete. Football, wrestling, then after highschool, semi-pro football then the Highland games. But I now, and always have, love science fiction/fantasy, tech stuff, all that which identifies one as a nerd or geek. Those words have often been bandied about by the more..."jock" like or "cool kids" as a very offensive term and one meant to belittle. Maybe that's the mission of this forum? To destroy those sterotypes and show others that geek and nerd is a COOL thing?! :)

Bryancd

Al, I have no doubt in High School I would have been afraid to call you anything but sir!

QuadShot

Quote from: Bryancd on August 29, 2011, 11:36:43 AM
Al, I have no doubt in High School I would have been afraid to call you anything but sir!

But the funny thing is, I typically prevented the other football players from picking on the smaller kids. I have always hated bullies. :)

Dangelus

I lean towards geek more than nerd but I don't have a problem being called either. I've been called a lot worse growing up like I'm sure many of us have. :)

QuadShot

Quote from: Dangelus on August 29, 2011, 11:48:08 AM
I lean towards geek more than nerd but I don't have a problem being called either. I've been called a lot worse growing up like I'm sure many of us have. :)

:) Hey, I don't care WHAT you call me...just don't call me late for dinner! :)

ChrisMC

Yeah, I used to get called nerd and get picked on or whatever...then I grew to 6'3" 200 lbs...no one seemed to care that I was a bit geeky at that point!

I lean toward geek myself.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Geekyfanboy

To me Nerd seems to be more into techy computer stuff, geek is more pop culture stuff. I'm a little nerd but a lot of geek.

And yes I was called a nerd among other things when I was a kid (an still as an adult). But I think the meaning behind both words have changed over the years.  Just because a word is used by hateful people to cause pain doesn't mean we stop using it. I take back those words and use them on myself as a sign of pride.

ChrisMC

Preach on, brother!  :metallica:
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

turtlesrock

i'd consider myself both. not quite sure why though. :)