Sci-Fi Sampler Price Comparison

Started by Vartok, August 29, 2011, 05:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vartok

I conducted an unofficial, spur of the moment, price comparison for sci-fi media comparing Walmarts, Best Buy, and Barnes & Noble.  These are the three most easily accessible big box outlets in my area after the closing of my favorite Borders.  Perhaps you have a Buy More near you!

I was wanting to find a copy of Rocketeer for my DVD collection and after looking in the stores it is not an easy find, after all, it was put out in 1991.  A couple of things surprised me about this price comparison.  The low price store Walmart was not always the lowest price.  Barnes & Noble has BN.com where you can get used copies for a significant discount if that is your preference.  For me I found that Walmarts had it in stock on-line if not at the store.  It was easy to find on-line at their web-site (they have download capability also), and was able to order to be shipped free to the store.  Since I am always in or near a Walmarts about once a week that seemed like a good way to reserve a copy and not have to pay for shipping.  I was notified that it is shipped within 24 hours and I am sure I can pick it up in a day or two.  Message: don't be afraid to check out Walmarts on-line.

Here is the comparison.  What is your best place to get not so common media?

V

Rico

Nice chart.  I'd love to see Amazon.com and deepdiscount.com added to the chart.

turtlesrock

for things not available in most stores, i always turn to amazon.com. they just seem to have (almost) everything.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: turtlesrock on August 29, 2011, 08:07:10 PM
for things not available in most stores, i always turn to amazon.com. they just seem to have (almost) everything.

Anymore, I turn to Amazon first, then the store.  The prices are head to beat on the website. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Vartok

Because you requested it.  Keep in mind Amazon has to ship but may not to pay state taxes.  If you order over $25 on Amazon you might get free shipping.  There are lots of opportunities for used copies if you are willing to trust that in a disc.  Here you go.  Star Trek V is apparently a collector's item!  Sorry, didn't do deepdiscount, will have to look into that.  My goal was at the start to look at local suppliers.  Web is another whole enchilada.   Pays to shop.

V

Rico

Amazon.com is very hard to beat for price.  I always get free shipping and pay no tax or gas to the stores.  Again, hard to beat it.

turtlesrock

best buy seems to have their fair share of deals too. might need to check them out....

M-5

It's hard to beat Amazon's prices with the free shipping.

Java The Hut

I has a web-sight AGAIN
www.scifi-autograph.com
showcasing my SciFi Autograph collection