Podcast # 394 - Movie Music

Started by Rico, July 22, 2012, 10:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This week I cover some movie music and soundtracks from some more recent films.  I talk a little Trek and also a little about "The Dark Knight Rises" too (spoiler-free).  Hope you enjoy the new podcast! 

Podcast Notes:  http://treksinscifi.com/podcast_notes/?p=2495

http://www.treksinscifi.com/podcasts/TreksinSciFi_394_Movie_Music.mp3

stansnig

Another excellent podcast Rico.  Enjoyed the music.  I went back and listened to the Lord of the Rings CD again, an excellent soundtrack.
stansnig

ChrisMC

Yeah very good, Rico. I'm pretty sure our musical tastes are pretty close!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Quote from: Chris-El on July 23, 2012, 02:20:07 PM
Yeah very good, Rico. I'm pretty sure our musical tastes are pretty close!

Yeah - I think so.  Sounds like we both have quite the collection of soundtracks too.

ChrisMC

I'll never forget my first one...I wore the needle out on my little record player on this.

Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Oh, yeah baby!  I still have my original 2 vinyl album from 1977!

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on July 23, 2012, 06:51:13 PM
Oh, yeah baby!  I still have my original 2 vinyl album from 1977!

Not only do I still have the original double album, I still have the poster that came with it! Been meaning to have it dry mounted for posterity. Has bad fold lines but otherwise is in pretty good shape. Fun podcast, Rico! Star Wars actually wash;t my first movie soundtrack album I can recall having. The first was...The Sound of Music!

billybob476

Since I'm just a wee lad my Star Wars soundtrack was the CD boxed set. I mail ordered it directly from the Lucasfilm Company Store out of the Adventurer magazine that came with one of my old LucasArts adventure games back in the ealry 90's.

Upon further googling (and my sometimes awful memory) I ordered it from this issueof The Adventurer: http://lucasartsadventurer.blogspot.ca/2011/09/adventurer-issue-no8-summer-1994.html

Zarabeth32

Where is Vartok's comment? I miss hearing his guest casts. I know Vartok must have some great comments about the movie scores!  :D

Z
In honor of my still living father - "I drank what?"

WillEagle

I have that Star Wars boxed set and its awesome. It has one extra disk of music that was recored but not put on any of the soundtrack releases. It's an awesome set. I remember one of the first soundtracks we had was from Superman. I remember listening to that with my brother.
Some of my favorite more recent music is from alot of the superhero movies. I picked out 1 track from Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America, Green Lantern, The Incredible Hulk and others. I downloaded them from Itunes.
I'm pretty good on the Star Trek soundtracks missing only Nemesis.
Great podcast Rico. And like you said on the cast I like to listen to soundtrack music when doing things around the house. I have been known to listen to it or a treksinscifi podcast when mowing my grass on my ipod. With an electric mower I can hear pretty good.

Geekyfanboy

Just finished the podcast Rico.. great job.. really enjoyed this one.. wanted to mention Eureka.. they had an 12 order for season 5 and were on track for a season 6, in fact it was announced that they were on the verge of renewing them when there was some sort of dispute between Syfy and the creator and the next thing they knew it was cancelled.. they were actually filming the last episode when they got the news. There was a outcry from fans to Syfy and Syfy gave Eureka one more episode #13 to wrap it up. So episode 12 was the season finale for Season 5 but episode 13 became the series finale.... I still think they did a good job at finishing up the series.

Rico

That explains a lot Kenny.  Thanks for the info on "Eureka."  I did really enjoy the finale a lot.

ricdude

My first soundtrack was Close Encounters of the Third Kind - '78?  Been a huge fan of John Williams' work ever since.

Relatively recent favourite: Graeme Revell's soundtrack to The Crow - damn hard to find in the days before cdnow.com/amazon.com/etc.

Redshirt97

Hi Roco, I just got Thur listening to the podcat.  great podcast, I have always liked movie and TV music as well.  I have purchased a lot of soundtracks over the years starting back when I was in grad school to Jr hi.  counting well into my adult years.  I haven't bought any in a while, just haven't found anything I really like yet.  Some of my favorites were available Thur Telarc Music label which had the Cincinnati pops recoded on CD.  They used the latest in digital recondings to get the best sound. I purchased quite a lot of their albums back in the 90's.  everthing from star wars to star trek.  to adverure and spy movies to war movies and westerns.  they can also be downloaded from iTunes as well.
I am going with the best information that I have.