Podcast # 390 - "This Island Earth"

Started by Rico, June 24, 2012, 09:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This week on the show I cover the classic, 1955 Sci-Fi film, "This Island Earth."  I saw this movie several times growing up on TV and have wanted to cover another SF classic for awhile now.  I also talk about some geek news, Trek stuff and other items on the podcast.  Hope everyone enjoys the show!

Podcast Notes:  http://treksinscifi.com/podcast_notes/?p=2459

http://www.treksinscifi.com/podcasts/TreksinSciFi_390_This_Island_Earth.mp3

This Island Earth (1955) - Theatrical Trailer

M-5

I love this movie!  Thanks Rico for covering it.  I usually listen at work on Mondays, but I'm listening to this one today. :cheers

Rico

M-5

Another awesome podcast, Rico! :cheers

There is a Star Trek connection in this movie.  The actor Rex Reason who played Cal Meacham, has a brother who was a quest star in a second season episode of Star Trek.  Rhodes Reason played Flavius in Bread and Circuses.  They look a lot a like and they both share the deep voice.

ChrisMC

You know, I've only ever seen this in MST3K the Movie. I will have to watch this now, unencumbered by wisecracks!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Quote from: M-5 on June 24, 2012, 03:19:05 PM

There is a Star Trek connection in this movie.  The actor Rex Reason who played Cal Meacham, has a brother who was a quest star in a second season episode of Star Trek.  Rhodes Reason played Flavius in Bread and Circuses.  They look a lot a like and they both share the deep voice.

Awesome connection and you are right - they look and sound amazingly alike!

M-5

Quote from: Chris-El on June 24, 2012, 04:19:13 PM
You know, I've only ever seen this in MST3K the Movie. I will have to watch this now, unencumbered by wisecracks!
That's too funny.  My daughter and I watched This Island Earth a couple of days ago and I would insert the MST3K dialogue throughout the movie.

ChrisMC

Quote from: M-5 on June 24, 2012, 05:03:27 PM
Quote from: Chris-El on June 24, 2012, 04:19:13 PM
That's too funny.  My daughter and I watched This Island Earth a couple of days ago and I would insert the MST3K dialogue throughout the movie.
"Captain's Log, half our ship fell off and no one likes me."
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

M-5

"Captain's log: I've lost my toupee and girdle, and I can't leave my room!" :)

Redshirt97

i just downloaded today, looking foward to this one.  it is one of my favs.
I am going with the best information that I have.

Redshirt97

Hi, Rico, I just listen to the podcast last friday.  It was great o listen to.  This Island Earth had been a fave of mine for a long time.  I am very much a fan of the 50's b grade sci-fi movies. I first saw it when I taped off of tv during a Thanksgiving holiday back in 89 I belive.  the story is great and the spicail effects are outstanding for its period.  I lliked the matte painting work that was done thurout the movie. one of my favories was when the scientist were look thur the atomic pile and doing there exeremits.  I saw it agian in the MSTK3 feather film.  I think they had to chose that one so the could market the movie to a main stream audence.

Redshirt97

Quote from: M-5 on June 24, 2012, 03:19:05 PM

Wow!  that is cool and intersresting.

davekill

I think Exeter retired on earth and got rich after quietly founding the Heathkit Co.  8)

Vartok

Largely due to Rico's Blast from the Past I picked up at WalMarts a super deal - 100 Sci-Fi Films on 24 DVDs for $18, nicely boxed.  Title is Greatest 100 Sci-Fi Classics.  A 24 disc set featuring movies from 1945 thru 1990 with actors like Vincent Price, Jesse Ventura, Bill Paxton, James Earl Jones, Ben Kingsley, Mark Hamill, Dorothy Stratten, Robert Conrad, Raymond Burr, Vic Savage, and more!

Out of 100 films wouldn't you know that This Island, Earth was not one of them (drat).  Here is a link to the collection at Amazon ($34) vs. the one at Walmart (which didn't come up at their web-site but my Walmart had an entire display of copies).  They also had 100 Classic Westerns for you Bryan!

Let's see, 132.5 hours of video for $18, that's $0.14 an hour!

V

http://www.amazon.com/100-Greatest-Sci-fi-Classics/dp/B0088JH7C4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1341272166&sr=8-6&keywords=greatest+100+sci-fi+classics

M-5

I got that DVD set for Father's Day! :)